what ship to get?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

what ship to get?

Post by FSOneblin »

I have been using The Black Hole, my iron aft cobra mk 3, for a long time now, and I'm tiered of the tiny cargo space, speed, and bathroom on it. I think it is time for an UPGRADE! I have 407721.1 credits. I was thinking about a super cobra or python class cruser . But what do you think I should get? And can you make a blackdog class cruser to buy for the next version of the oxp?

And is Padmay ok? Please, Darth Vader loves her.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

The PCC is quite manoeuvreable and can carry almost the entire planets' interesting items stock, but is bulky and easy to hit; the SuperCobra is a better fighter... It depends on what you want to do with it.

And that's "Padme"!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If you are after a really luxurious bathroom (and of course the rest of the interior as well), I think the first choice is still the Fer-de-Lance. Of course its cargo space is ridiculous, and the whole ship is more than just a little overprized for its specifications, but then again: see the bathroom! :wink:
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

I do believe it's the Python and not the PCC comes in 'Blackdog' configuration. mostly used by 'pirates' and other 'alternative entrepreneurs'.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Indeed. The Blackdog is basically a standard Python (a little souped up, though) with a different paintjob.
Captain Hesperus

Now there is a beautiful (if somewhat decrepit) Python.... <3 <3 <3

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

If you want to work your way up the "special deliveries" -- F8/F8 -- rankings, you'll need to get something with a cargo bay big enough to take at least some of the bulk haulage contracts. The PCC is an OK ship, and can hold its own in combat, but as Maegil says it's big and easy to hit. The same can be said about pretty much any ship large enough to ship a big load of cargo, though. By the way, the PCC is taller than it is wide -- you should therefore dock on your side!

Mind you, the toilet facilities can only be described as "functional", at best. But once you've earned a reputation as a reliable deliverybeing, you'll find your potential ship options get much wider...
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

Hello,
There's always Benulobiweed.inc ;)
Quick ships, big ships, familiar ships, dangerous (to the pilot) ships...

Benulobiweed.inc
We only cut the corners you don't care about
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Tried out the PCC. It is better than, my best putt (to date) at golf. I think I will go for that. And Captain Hesperus, how are you clean? I thought you were a smuggler? And is AH going to be done with that revenge on hesperus oxp? It sounds like it makes getting a tromble worth it.

edit: got the pcc, I make like 10000 c per stop, then spend it all on equipment.

Thanks for the answers, Don't panic: fsoneblin
Last edited by FSOneblin on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

FSOneblin wrote:
Captain Hesperus, how are you clean?
A fastidious nature and a lot of licking, probably. Ohh, the things he has to do to get the taste of Gasazck's goat soup out of his mouth...
Captain Hesperus

FSOneblin wrote:
And Captain Hesperus, how are you clean? I thought you were a smuggler?
I am. A smuggler, that is. If I were an Offender, or Giles forbid, a Fugitive, that would make life a lot harder. Every time I'd dock I'd end up with nosey GalCop officials poking around the DP's nether regions, asking, "Why is this panel loose?" or "Did you know that there are Trumbles in that overhead storage compartment?" or "Are you aware that your prime motivator is goving off more than three times the safe level of radiation?". As you can imagine, this level of scrutiny would make transporting and off-loading, errrm, exotic items somewhat difficult and quite often costly in bribes. Therefore, when I pick up, uhhm, rarified commodities I perform a couple of blind jumps to 'clean up' before travelling to my destination. Voila! Dock at station and nothing but the most cursory of inspections and the lightest of bribes. That's when the noisome odour that seems to pervade the ship (thanks! Stepan) comes in handy, most GalPigs won't spend more than two minutes on board without gaging.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

123608 Credits in the Bank? So where did you hide the rest? Is there a Galactic equivalent of a Swiss Bank?
Captain Hesperus

@davcefai - The rest is 'Hard Currency'. There are certain of my 'suppliers' who don't have a Credit account (it's GalCop's way of tracking you wherever you go, didn't you know that?), so I carry an amount of easily tradeable commodities which aren't on my manifest.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ok, I have 2 more question's : I have done the war at ramaza, is that all that is left for me in galaxy 2? And when is that revenge on hesperus oxp going to be done?

Don't panic: fsoneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's a summary of all the missions (when, where, etc.) on the wiki here. I've got no details on the Hesperus OXP though. I think the technical term is "development hell". :wink: