Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Running OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Adams
Average
Average

Running OXPs

Post by Commander Adams »

Is it best to just do them one at a time..coz I tried 4 at once,and my Mac kept crashing.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Running OXPs

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander Adams wrote:
Is it best to just do them one at a time..coz I tried 4 at once,and my Mac kept crashing.
Best bet is to install one at a time and then load after each install. if you crash after one is installed then, that'll be your problem.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Best bet is to install one at a time and then load after each install. if you crash after one is installed then, that'll be your problem.

Just one problem: A lot of oxp's do things random. One time showing this, the other time launching an other ship. It could also depend on the system you are in.

So if it crashes you know you are there, but if not you still can have an oxp that makes thing crashing. For this reason, when you add a new oxp, play with it over longer time before you install a new one.
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

what is the max number of oxp's you can install and have the game run reasonably fast? i'm using a dual core macbook?
Guard your Poems Lobster meat!
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Kaiserspike wrote:
what is the max number of oxp's you can install and have the game run reasonably fast? i'm using a dual core macbook?
This has to do more with the amount of your memory than with the power of your processor.

Also it has to do more with the total size in MB of the OXPs rather with the number of them.

For example if you install all of the 4 sets from Dr Nills PutYourAdHere.oxp is like installing 30 small oxps or more.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

As Ark says: there is no single answer to that. Some oxp's do only cost time during startup. Others do really take time away.
Some oxp's with ships in it let the system choose the ship. In that case the total number of ships in a system does not change. Others explicitly add their own ships to a system after Oolite has set it up. That way you have more ships in the system and controlling them all takes more time for the computer.

One simple trick could be to look inside the oxp to see if his config folder contains a script. When there is no script, it probably lets the system choose the ship, so the total number in a system is not affected. Those oxp's will have the least impact on time and you can have a lot of them.
With others it just depends how it was written.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Although Little_Bear's Assassins is huge however you look at it!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Running OXPs

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Adams wrote:
And of course in this cases it's the best thing to send a crash report according to the Problem Reporting Guidelines!
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

thanks guys, i know that was a bit of a vague question to throw out there, but your replies cleared up a few things for me.
Thanks.
I'll also endeavour to report crashes when applicable.
Guard your Poems Lobster meat!