Attack of the Cargo Cannister

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Liquidator
Average
Average

Attack of the Cargo Cannister

Post by Liquidator »

I have just had a very strange experience:

In an Anarchy rated system (Rebees of Gal 3) I was approaching a rock hermit who released a hostile craft attacking me. After finishing the rock hermit (receiving a 100 cr. bonus) I realised I had been attacked by a cargo cannister (status: Offender)???? Destroying the cannister awarded me a kill and an 18 cr. reward.

I am using ver. 1.70 (at a G5 iMac, OS X.4.11) with plenty of OXP's installed; among them Anarchies, Random Hits.

I assume it is somehow unintentional though I must admit I was quite amused :)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

You are not the first one that had this encounter

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4049
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

I am using ver. 1.70 (at a G5 iMac, OS X.4.11) with plenty of OXP's installed; among them Anarchies, Random Hits.
This is some bug in 1.70 I assume as I never saw this before. But somehow the result is also related to OXP's.

I also have a lot of OXP's installed, and say this attacking canister near the pirates cove.

From an other OXP I saw his ships near the witchspoint changing in canisters with his ship AI.
And now I have installed Random Hits I have encountered parts of the bas throughout the universe. Two times a part of the bar was just flying on short distance of the main stations docking port. On launching I just flew through a hole in the thing.
JonB
Average
Average

Why not?

Post by JonB »

If you think about it, equipping a cargo cannister with an automatic attack system, a laser and an engine is a pretty neat idea. It would be like a Tharglet. I mean, it's obviously a bug but if this were a real world that sort of thing would make sense. I'd be hacking bombs into my cannisters if I could, so I could make them into mines. The cannister itself is supposed to be pretty tough, so it would make a superb remote controlled attack craft.

Just a thought...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Some traders are known to carry "Worm Remote Attack Craft" and will spit worms armed with pulse lasers out of the cargo eject hatch if provoked....
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Well, it may be a bug, but it does make a kind of sense to put particularly valuable cargo in a pod that can defend itself against 'unauthorised' vessels in its vicinity!! Quite a neat twist, in fact! :twisted:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Star Gazer wrote:
Well, it may be a bug, but it does make a kind of sense to put particularly valuable cargo in a pod that can defend itself against 'unauthorised' vessels in its vicinity!! Quite a neat twist, in fact! :twisted:
It's a Honey Trap! A cargo pod that looks to contain something valuable, but really is only containing a missile targeting system and a HMX5 Hardhead!
A bit like the Q-ships used by the Allies in WWII.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yupp. Honeypod. hehe...

Maybe you should take a look into the localhero.oxp. hehe...