Odd problem with custpaint OXP and ver 1.70

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Odd problem with custpaint OXP and ver 1.70

Post by Ark »

I have a strange problem with V1.70 and custpaints oxp.

Version 1.70 seems to have a problem with two particular png files of this oxp (flamekrait_rear.png and flamekrait_bottom.png) since I can not see any textures in the bottom and rear of flame krait in the demo screen. When I looked in the stderr:

From stderr file
2007-12-16 13:02:01.718 oolite.exe[3508] [texture.load.png.error]: ***** A PNG loading error occurred for AddOns/custpaint1.oxp/Textures/flamekrait_rear.png: Not a PNG file
2007-12-16 13:02:01.718 oolite.exe[3508] [texture.load.png.error]: ***** A PNG loading error occurred for AddOns/custpaint1.oxp/Textures/flamekrait_bottom.png: Not a PNG file

Facts
1.The png files exit in the textures directory and seem to be ok.
2.It is not a case of a case sensitivity (I am a pc user after all) or bad naming of the png error since the message is not [files.notFound]: ***** ERROR: Could not find texture but A PNG loading error occurred.
3.When I install this oxp in ver 1.65 everything is ok. I can see textures in the bottom and rear of the flame krait and no errors like above in the stderr.
4.I downloaded the oxp from oosat1 and reinstalled it in both versions with the same results (works ok in 1.65 but not in 1.70)

It is not something serious but I was wondering if someone else has seen that in custpaint or any other oxp.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

This problem has been around since 1.67. The issue is simple: those files aren’t PNGs, they’re misnamed BMPs.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Thanks Ahruman
I will convert them right away
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Ahh!

So that is what is wrong with them! duh!
The inverted colour of the flamekrait-bottom has been bugging me for years.

(finding the filetype in XP can be difficult if the file has been renamed incorrectly, probably going outside win to the DOS-shell would make extensions visible on short names. Only navigating LONG directory names in DOS is a drag: "thisdirectorynameistoolarge" would become "/thisdi~1" or somesuch)

Mind that this OXP was my first AND at the time there was no stable oolite for PC.
(I had Rik and IIRC in this case Murgh do the testing and such)

I'll add this to my TODOWHENIFEELIKEIT list too.
Riding the Rocket!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Ahh!

So that is what is wrong with them! duh!
The inverted colour of the flamekrait-bottom has been bugging me for years.

(finding the filetype in XP can be difficult if the file has been renamed incorrectly, probably going outside win to the DOS-shell would make extensions visible on short names. Only navigating LONG directory names in DOS is a drag: "thisdirectorynameistoolarge" would become "/thisdi~1" or somesuch)

Mind that this OXP was my first AND at the time there was no stable oolite for PC.
(I had Rik and IIRC in this case Murgh do the testing and such)

I'll add this to my TODOWHENIFEELIKEIT list too.
Png files have a signature, they allways start with the same...

namely

‰PNG

if you look at it in a text editor...

or

89 50 4e 47

in a hex editor

So that way you can be sure it is a legit png file..

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

If you are a PC user you can open it with windows paint. There you can see its true format (if it is a PNG or somthing else) whatever the extension of the file may be. Also you can convert it with the same program and overwrite the wrong format file.