Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Galactic Navy 2.0 & Oolite 1.70 & Vista

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galactic Navy 2.0 & Oolite 1.70 & Vista

Post by Lestradae »

Just wanted to mention that the Galactic Navy oxp has stopped working on my system since I upgraded from GN Vs 1.6 to 2.0.

Galactic Navy 1.6 worked with Oolite 1.70 - there where Navy Fleets, Sec Com Stations and the like.

Since I upgraded to 2.0, I found only one Navy Fleet that was extremely big and flying around rather aimlessly in the Ceinerxe system in Galaxy 2, but no Sec Com Station. The game also crashed at the system`s main station, perhaps no coincidence?

The Sec Com Stations in Isonza & Ceinerxe of Galaxy 2 seem to have vanished in my game.

Perhaps this can be fixed?
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

I'm not sure what could be causing this - with my scripting abilities it's no small miracle the OXP ever worked at all! It could possibly be a Vista problem, but I don't know how. Version 2.0 is working on my mac running 1.70... its interesting that you saw a fleet but no stations. What happens when you misjump, are there frigates in interstellar space? Also, check the planet description of a former SecCom system (pressing F7), does it say "This system is home to Sector Command" or is that missing as well?

We're mostly likely going to have to wait for someone who has a better grasp of scripting to figure what's broken and how to fix it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@matt634 - my testing results with GalNavy 2.0

Post by Lestradae »

Hi matt,

I have tried out a range of things with your oxp versions 1.6 and 2.0. I even re-installed Oolite 1.65 and tested things with this and then re-installed 1.70 and tested everything in configuration (again) either.

The result:
In both Oolite versions (!!) the Galactic Navy 1.6 works without problems. The Navy is there in interstellar witchspace, there are the Sec Com stations, their fleets are to be seen now and then.

Also in both Oolite versions: Galactic Navy 2.0 installed, no Navy in witchspace, no Sec Com stations where they should be (and I searched by looking for them everywhere when they failed to show up on the advanced navigational compass), and only once did I meet a Galactiv Navy Fleet - though this one was gigantic (40+ of your touretted carriers), in Ceinerxe - still no Sec Com station.

Also, Oolite had started crashing on me really bad after I installed the new GN version 2.0. Seemed to be some kind of looping with administrator rights under Vista. I can`t be absolutely sure, but its probable that this was caused by GN 2.0. I have the older version 1.6 on again and everything works fine.

My system is as mentioned Vista on a Pentium IV.

Greetings, hope that helps (?)

Lestradae
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: @matt634 - my testing results with GalNavy 2.0

Post by Frame »

Lestradae wrote:
administrator rights under Vista.
oh yeah gotta hate the UAC. (user Account Control)... but Its security wise better..

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Security/uac.aspx
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Is anyone successfully running V2.0 of the OXP on Oolite 1.70 in Vista? Maybe we can find the problem through process of elimination.
VPR
Poor
Poor

Post by VPR »

Hello, I'm having problems to with this oxp on Oolite versions 1.65 / 1.68 & 1.70. It's an identical problem to what Lestradae described. I'm on Windows XP Home SP2 not Vista however.

Parts of it must be working though as the planet descriptions state the planet is a home for a naval base. Also the trading station for that planet is replaced with the model for the Sec Com base though there are no navy ships present at all in the system.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't think the problem is mainly related to Vista.

Opening the planetinfo.plist (even against the author's advice :wink: ) it was easy to find out that it consistently uses morethan as an operator in the conditions of the script_actions.

I am not entirely sure whether there are platforms on which this might work. But the correct operator is greaterthan (see wiki). Therefore simply replacing all morethan by greaterthan will solve the problem.

Matt634, that will be version 2.1, I guess. :wink:
VPR
Poor
Poor

Post by VPR »

Commander McLane wrote:
I am not entirely sure whether there are platforms on which this might work. But the correct operator is greaterthan (see wiki). Therefore simply replacing all morethan by greaterthan will solve the problem.
Just tried editing the two files (planetinfo.plist & script.plist) as above but it doesn't seem to have fixed my problems with the oxp. :(
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

I actually have windows xp installed on my Intel Macbook (just because) - I'll trying installing Oolite and see what I can figure out.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hm. I was honestly convinced that this was the cause of the problem. So maybe there is another bug in the OXP that slipped in between 1.6 and 2.0?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I think I know what is wrong with this. The variable mission_vicbond_count, on which apparently everything depends - does not seem to get initialized before the first visit to a navy station, but to have a navy station appear in game, this variable must be defined. I added the OXP in AddOns, launched a saved game and went to Agebi, G7 to check out the Navy activity. There was nothing, not even the compass indication for the station. Exited, edited the save file I used and manually added the lines

Code: Select all

<key>mission_vicbond_count</key>
<string>0</string>
in the mission_variables section. Restarted the game and voila! Everything there: station, navy ships, patrol activity, the whole shebang.

Hope this helps find a solution.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

And why would that only affect Vista? I just tried out the OXP for the very first time on my system (Mac OS X 10.4.11), and everything was there and worked fine.

Can it be that the Mac version handles the undefined variable like it had a value of 0, while Windows doesn't?

Anyway, if this is the source of the problem, then it's easy to fix: Divide the first condition in the seccom_station-script:

Code: Select all

"seccom_station" = (
        {
            conditions = ("mission_vicbond_count undefined"); 
            do = ("set: mission_vicbond_count 0"); 
        }, 
        {
            conditions = (
                "dockedStationName_string equal Navy SecCom Station", 
                "mission_seccom_station undefined"
            ); 
            do = (
                "setMissionImage: none", 
                "set: mission_seccom_station SECCOM_VISIT", 
                "setMissionMusic: none", 
                "showShipModel: none", 
                setGuiToMissionScreen, 
                "addMissionText: seccom_welcome1", 
                "setMissionChoices: seccom_welcome_choice"
            ); 
        }, 
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Not sure really why only Windows is affected, you might be right with your assumption about the variable handling. However, I just wanted to mention that I tried your fix and it works fine.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Good! :D Then now is the time for version 2.1 (but considering my other remarks as well).
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

Haha, Cheers!

There will unfortunately never be a version 2.1 :cry: I'm packing right now (well not right now I'm typing) for a holiday trip back to my parents home in Nebraska. Its rural and there's no internet to be found. But, because its rural I'll have a lot of time for scripting. So, after returning to the world of high speed bliss (sometime shortly after Christmas) I should be able to upload the final version complete with missions. There will undoubtedly be a small bug update.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!