New computer

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

New computer

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite with full shader effects at 100 fps at better-than-HDTV-resoltution > Oolite with simple shader effects at 25-50 fps at worse-than-HDTV resolution.

Oolite remaining at 100 fps while flying past a Shady Billboard >> Oolite dropping to under 1 FPS when doing so. :-)

Anyway, I may be somewhat busy playing with this thing over the next week or so.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: New computer

Post by ArkanoiD »

Ahruman wrote:
Oolite with full shader effects at 100 fps at better-than-HDTV-resoltution > Oolite with simple shader effects at 25-50 fps at worse-than-HDTV resolution.

Oolite remaining at 100 fps while flying past a Shady Billboard >> Oolite dropping to under 1 FPS when doing so. :-)

Anyway, I may be somewhat busy playing with this thing over the next week or so.
Eee? ;-)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

sounds like getting Vista ;-(.. i know you have mac though..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

To clarify, that’s > meaning “greater than”, not -> meaning “transition to”.

Also, I misspoke. My old computer is better than 720 HDTV, but worse than 1080. Still, the new one has 78% more pixels. Mmm, pixels.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Also, I now have Oolite working under Linux. At a blazing 13 FPS, and with working sound, unlike my earlier attempts. Need to get (urgh) Windows, since Parallels supports hardware acceleration of OpenGL with Windows.

I’ve also played around a little with the GNUstep developer tools, which are like a horrible, horrible parody of the OS X ones. But don’t tell the GNUstep people I said that. ;-) Now if only I could work out how to start them without setting off a fork bomb…
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Ahruman wrote:
I’ve also played around a little with the GNUstep developer tools, which are like a horrible, horrible parody of the OS X ones. But don’t tell the GNUstep people I said that. ;-) Now if only I could work out how to start them without setting off a fork bomb…
Finally someone knows what I'm talking about!
Regards,
David Taylor.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Need to get (urgh) Windows, since Parallels supports hardware acceleration of OpenGL with Windows.
Don't do it! Noooooo!

Seriously, I'm surprised at the 13fps on a new computer. I used to get 50 on a Celeron 2.67.

Can I help?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

davcefai wrote:
Need to get (urgh) Windows, since Parallels supports hardware acceleration of OpenGL with Windows.
Don't do it! Noooooo!

Seriously, I'm surprised at the 13fps on a new computer. I used to get 50 on a Celeron 2.67.

Can I help?
Well i´m not that surprised, the current drivers outthere has serious Issues..

For example.. i´m running Vista, and every 3d application has slowed down...

Thats ATI for ya... MY X800XT PE should run pretty decent on Vista, but it dont work at all with OpenGL.

It absolutely rocks on Windows XP, and cant even still be compared to Never cards like the Nvidia 7000 and early 8000 series when going to measure by FPS.

But ofcourse it lacks certain features like Shadermodel 3.0 that is now at revision 4.1, however you can barely tell a difference between 2.0 and 3.0 and 4.1, so this is lemon Squishing from the manufactures...

but back to poor performance... I think the industry is going by some sort of change that valids these Child Sickness problems. Prolly something todo with the new kind of GPU´s of today...

For Vistas Part, i know the whole 3d integration into Windows has made its fair share of problems, however it should get much better once the software/driver programmers get the Hang of it...

also there is alot going on ATM with Mobo and GFX cards canceling eachother out ATM... incompatible so to speak... SO you are really going to watch out these days as a customer when buying any of either..'

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

davcefai wrote:
Don't do it! Noooooo!

Can I help?
Possibly, by writing a Linux driver for Parallels Desktop’s virtual graphics card. ;-) As it is, it’s software rendering.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I now have Windows installed, and Oolite runs fine under Parallels (especially with full shader mode, which improves performance noticeably). I haven’t tried to build it yet.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Ahruman wrote:
I now have Windows installed, and Oolite runs fine under Parallels (especially with full shader mode, which improves performance noticeably). I haven’t tried to build it yet.
XP or Vista ?
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Ahruman wrote:
I’ve also played around a little with the GNUstep developer tools, which are like a horrible, horrible parody of the OS X ones.
Why do you think I have a nightly build that's fully automatic?

So I don't have to fiddle with these things all the time :-)

To be fair, GNUstep is entirely a volunteer effort, and they are going to concentrate on what's most important (having it work at all). Making it easy is secondary to making it work. On the other hand, I wouldn't know where to start trying to automate a GUI like XCode on a headless build machine with no GUI available...and be able to fix it if it goes wrong.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’d argue that cross-platform OpenStep without easy-to-use dev tools is pretty pointless. Maybe if I can get them to actually work I’ll find them useable, though.

As for automation, that’s what xcodebuild is for.
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

The GNUstep tools (well, at least for the Base stuff) isn't all that hard to use, as long as you don't require a GUI. I'd argue having it work at all is a required step before making it point-and-click compatible. Not much point having an easy to use cross platform development kit if it doesn't actually work :-)