Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Alternative Planet Textures (Sung`s) stopped working in 1.70

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Alternative Planet Textures (Sung`s) stopped working in 1.70

Post by Lestradae »

Hi People (especially Ahruman)

first of all thanks for this great (free!!) game! I am one of those people who stopped playing Elite 20 years ago and am now back at it again :)

I use the Planet Textures of Sung. I think this a very important add-on to the game as planets look like, well, inhabited planets with them. I have been using version 1.65 until now because I wanted to wait with upgrading until the worst bugs are weeded out.

To that purpose, when installing 1.70 and reintegrating all the additional stuff back in, I put "Sung`s Textures" and the "Oosounds" back in too. I replaced the basic planet look with them also in the app-folders under "Textures".

I play on a Pentium IV with Vista.

So, while the overall graphics level seems to be better, the windows now fit on my screen and the game seems generally faster, my nice planets have been replaced by strange little golfballs.

How can I repair this? I really want to continue using Sung`s planet textures. Oh, and p-t-p including docking and ejecting again also don`t work.

Ideas, anyone? No? Please? :)

Greetings

Lestradae
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Sung's texture pack replaces the textures for the Native SHIPS rather than planets. (and still works, but you will need to delete the galaxy texture as this clashes with 1.70's nebula effects and makes the skys go all funny).

The detailed planet textures were part of Daljit's 1.65 alternative build of Oolite (earth type and Mars type planets). 1.67 also featured a different take on detailed planets. It was found to be buggy, so is disabled in 1.68, 1.69 and 1.70. Hopefully they'll be re-introduced for a future version.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

My planets

Post by Lestradae »

Thanks for the nebula tip! I was also wondering about the Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds optics ...

But what just became mysterious is where my planet textures actually were from - all planets had continents and lakes, with the continents brown or green or icy-white (in combinations) and the water-surfaces blue. And the planets all had different continental forms. Strange :)

Do you know where the planet textures are in the diverse folders? I had been thinking about some kind of optional replacement with real photographs of earth and other planets instead of the existing versions - also much more hi-res versions. Would this be possible at all?

Sorry all the questions, Oolite is teaching me new things about my computer all the time ...

L
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

In most cases the planet textures are generated on-the-fly so there are no texture images in the game's directory tree for them. From what you say it sounds as if you were using my libnoise mod which gave Earth-like and Mars-like textures generated based on various info about the planet. This was discontinued a long time ago because it wasn't a good fit for the game's "architecture".

You can assign a fixed texture to a planet, like I believe the Assasin's OXP does, by naming the texture file in the planetinfo.plist file for the planet you want to "reskin".

However I can't find anything on the wiki about how to do this... LittleBear?
Regards,
David Taylor.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

This is for adding planets, not re-texturing the custom planets.