hyperradio

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

But why is the array in equipment.plist not closed like other arrays (semikolon)?
I don't know, but in all other cases the array is part of a dictionary. With the equipment.plist however it is part of an other array. So it is not the same as usual.

Eric
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As per the fine manual, arrays are comma-separated lists, while dictionaries consist of key-value pairs terminated with semicolons. This is a property of the container, not the contained object. The root object in equipment.plist is an array, not a dictionary, so it uses array syntax.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ahruman wrote it correctly but I overlooked the essence at first:
As per the fine manual, arrays are comma-separated lists, while dictionaries consist of key-value pairs terminated with semicolons.
Meaning the last element of an array has not a , separator while the last element of an dictionary has always the ; separator.

But I am spoiled as I mostly use a mac plist editor that does the syntax for me and never have to worry about that part. Are there plist editors for windows?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ahruman wrote:
As per the fine manual, arrays are comma-separated lists, while dictionaries consist of key-value pairs terminated with semicolons. This is a property of the container, not the contained object. The root object in equipment.plist is an array, not a dictionary, so it uses array syntax.
Thanks Ahruman.
The link is a nice one (fine manual, yupp), specially the link to the OpenStep-Wiki entries on that page (bookmarked now).
Eric Walch wrote:
Meaning the last element of an array has not a , separator while the last element of an dictionary has always the ; separator.
Thanks Eric. That clears it and is a good reminder.
Eric Walch wrote:
But I am spoiled as I mostly use a mac plist editor that does the syntax for me and never have to worry about that part. Are there plist editors for windows?
I'm using Notepad++ and it's possible to configure it (or maybe there is a plug-in downloadable), but I think I won't do that. It's a good training for writing correct syntax.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.04 for Oolite1.71 is online.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Eric Walch wrote:
Ahruman wrote it correctly but I overlooked the essence at first:
As per the fine manual, arrays are comma-separated lists, while dictionaries consist of key-value pairs terminated with semicolons.

On a completely random note, I noticed that when you submitted a version of characters.plist with an explicitly-named Constrictor Thief, completely ignoring the comment in the plist on why it was done the way it was. Looking at the source has its advantages. ;-)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.05 is online.

Some changes:

- Uses Oxps Music-folder and the new implemented JS-Stuff Sound.stopMusic() and Sound.playMusic()
- Changed to timer-event
- Disabled in interstellar space (you'll get a message)
- Discarded 3 missionVariables (the script will delete them)
- On docking music will be stopped (to avoid overlays with mission music) and licence will be checked
- Added a check for non-valid descriptions.plist (you'll get a message), but if the array is empty Oolite will crash!
- Works only in Oolite v1.71 (old versions still on the WIKI, but not listed anymore)
- Directly after launching or entering a new system Hyperradio is deactivated (it has to search a new station) :-)

Have fun
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

?

Post by Lestradae »

Hi,

went and downloaded at once - detected a potential problem.

In the Read Me (yes, I read them!) it says:
1. Don't use it in interstellar space. There is a known bug and Oolite v1.71 will crash!
Erm, if I am in interstellar space and want to jump out, but to do that I have to open the F7 systems screen, which activates the hyperradio and "bang" ...

"T`wasn`t the bugs that got me matey, t`was me radio ..." :)

EDIT: PS, is there some site where I can get ogg or wav hyperradio-compatible music?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: ?

Post by Svengali »

Lestradae wrote:
went and downloaded at once - detected a potential problem.
1. Don't use it in interstellar space. There is a known bug and Oolite v1.71 will crash!
Erm, if I am in interstellar space and want to jump out, but to do that I have to open the F7 systems screen, which activates the hyperradio and "bang" ...
Tss,tss,tss. Sometimes it's hard to understand you. :-)
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... ion_Manual
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4581

And the concept of the Hyperradio is that you can play your own files. You just have to convert them to OGG-Vorbis or if you are on Windows/Linux you can use Wav (see Hyperradio-Wiki-page) too. So it's up to you to rip your CDs or write your own music.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Svengali wrote:
- Added a check for non-valid descriptions.plist (you'll get a message), but if the array is empty Oolite will crash!
I await your bug reports and test cased with bated breath…
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Ahruman wrote:
I await your bug reports and test cased with bated breath…
You can start breathing again :-)

@Lestradae: Sorry, I was too short. I think you don't have to use the SYSTEM_DATA_SCREEN to leave a system. Just step to the SHORT_RANGE_CHART (F6) and select a destination. Then activate your hyperdrive (h).

And to the download-sites: Forget most sites with free downloadable content. But there are thousands of sites, so maybe you can find a good one. A good tip is to go directly to band-sites. If I remember right Metallica and some others are already using the CC-License for some songs. Some of them have already downloadable stuff. And using a paysite for this case? I don't know. Most of us have enough CDs or DVDs to rip some stuff from - so no need for Napster & co.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

@Lestradae: Sorry, I was too short. I think you don't have to use the SYSTEM_DATA_SCREEN to leave a system. Just step to the SHORT_RANGE_CHART (F6) and select a destination. Then activate your hyperdrive (h).
Ups, stuuupid me :oops:

You are completely right! Sometimes its hard to understand myself. Where was my head? Ah, over there ... :roll:
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.06 is online with a small workaround for the new things :-)
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Great place to get free music for this OXP (classical only, though):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sound/list
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Wolfwood wrote:
Great place to get free music for this OXP (classical only, though):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sound/list
Thanks!
I've been meaning to increase the amount of classical music in my collection sometime, and here's a legal way to start.