Too much money

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i would vote for one of two things: customizable skins, aka kill stickers; or a trophy room/nook where you can view your kill counts, save counts, death counts, and trophy's and/or medals for completing various missions. =D this would be a perfect place to display the certificates and other junk you get for your charitable contributions. =D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

nijineko wrote:
a trophy room/nook where you can view your kill counts, save counts, death counts, and trophy's and/or medals for completing various missions. =D this would be a perfect place to display the certificates and other junk you get for your charitable contributions. =D
Your kill counts are visible on the statistics screen (F5) together with the other basic information, like your credits, legal status and so on. I'm not sure what you mean with death counts. It should be 0 as long as you're not dead, shouldn't it? And if it's 1, your dead and the game is over.

But I really like the idea of a trophy room, displaying all the different ranks and titles you have achieved so far (again very much EV'ish, if I may say so :oops:). Because usually after the final missionscreen of a mission you'll never meet your silver star, or assassins rank, or whatever mission rank again, which is a shame IMO.

So would there be some space left for that on one of the F5-screens? (Just in order not to start another fruitless plea for the usage of F4.)

:D
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I'd also like the idea of adding a list of completed missions. And all those pretty medals the navy keep giving me for shooting bugs :)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Commander McLane wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean with death counts....
I assume this would be the number of times you've seen the "Game Over -- Press Space Commander" screen. Unless you're playing ultra-strict, of course. (Actually, I think EV had a form of "strict play" that meant if you died, you were dead -- no restart from saved games. Or did I dream it?)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

No, that's correct.

But how would you count that in Oolite? A "Game Over" event doesn't write anything in a save-file. So how would the engine be able to detect whether you reload a game because you just died with the same commander, or you only want to switch to another one of all your commander personalities that wasn't dead before?

And a "total death count", just counting how often any of your commanders (and of all the other people playing on your computer) have died, would make no sense on the "titles and honours"-list of a specific commander of yours.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I remember in Knights of the Sky you could resurrect a pilot rather than starting a new one, and this got recorded on the career screen. It always looked a bit odd alongside the list of kills and medals though.

A titles and honours screen would be great though - even better if you could display a number of small medal/award images on one screen in some kind of standardised way.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

yeah, death count is supposed to be how many times a particular commander has bit it. i guess that would have to be a game alteration request.

but kill stickers... that i'd really like to see. =D

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

nijineko wrote:
but kill stickers... that i'd really like to see. =D
Would be nice in the beginning. But where would I put all of my currently 9001 kill-stickers? :shock: I mean, somehow the space on the hull of my Imperial Courier is limited, too. (Or should I look for a bigger ship? A Generation Ship, perhaps? :oops:)

"Hey, hey, LBJ! How many ships have you killed today?"
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

hmmm... I've got some catching up to do...
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

kills could be recorded like "ace" medals. say, get a "bronze planet" at 10 kills. a "silver planet" at 50, gold at 250. then a "bronze star" for 500, "silver star" for 2500, then a "gold star" every right on commander after that. or such like. and a big Platinum Budgie when you make Elite.
remember the novella mentioned summat bout a victory roll over London in the simulator or summat when you made the grade, be nice to see that as a oxp thing.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

That would be London's Crater that smallish colony that is financially supported mainly by pilgrimages to the site where the famous elite hero Jack London's found his end at the hand of the Thargoids?

(Cause Sol system is off limits to us space people of the coop, because we fraternise with aliens)
;)
Riding the Rocket!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
That would be London's Crater that smallish colony that is financially supported mainly by pilgrimages to the site where the famous elite hero Jack London's found his end at the hand of the Thargoids?

(Cause Sol system is off limits to us space people of the coop, because we fraternise with aliens)
;)
What about a 21 (million) Trumble Salute over Orrira?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Could be done.

just aedit the chaff-dispenser thing to spawn trumble-models instead of chaff-items. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Could be done.

just aedit the chaff-dispenser thing to spawn trumble-models instead of chaff-items. ;)
Got one already. It's called 'Thermadore and Bisque in EVA suits with shovels evacuating the Cargo Bay'. Cheaper than the Chaff Dispenser and there's a chance of infesting any attackers with Trumbles....... :twisted:

Captain Hesperus
...An equal opportunities employer. He treats his employees equally terribly.
The truth, revealed!!
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

hmmm, i was thinking a mini icon with a number by it. or perhaps we could just catagorize it by ai-type? civilians, traders, pirates, police, etc, rather than by specific ships. however, the trophy room could show a list of each ship and the kill counts on it. =D that would be fun.