Galaxy help.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Galaxy help.

Post by FSOneblin »

Hi good people. I have a question: How do I get to anther galaxy. And thats it...
oh, and there should be the heart of gold ship from the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

Don't panic: neblin
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi FSOneblin, welcome to the boards! You get to another galaxy (actually, another region of the same galaxy, but that's beside the point) by purchasing and using a Galactic Hyperdrive, a one-shot device which will propel you to the next sector up. It doesn't use any fuel (all the fuel is contained in the device) and you get to leave your criminal record behind... not that I'm condoning any illicit behaviour, of course. You can buy a Galactic Hyperdrive for 5000Cr at any planet with a sufficiently high tech level: 10 or over, in this case. Equipment can be bought at a discount at Imperial AstroFactories (Dictatorships OXP) or Collective ZGFs (Commies OXP), if money's a bit tight.

Edit: the Galactic Hyperdrive is activated with the "G" key.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hi and welcome FSOneblin, an excellent answer from Disembodied, the only thing I can add is that you have to cycle through the galaxies in forward direction only, so check out the missions you want to do first, before leaving a galaxy, because to go back to the one you have just left is 7 Galactic hyperdrive jumps.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

TGHC wrote:
because to go back to the one you have just left is 7 Galactic hyperdrive jumps.
...which will set you back a mere 35000Cr. Now what's that among friends? :roll:
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Since going back isn't possible - why are there so many missions in galaxy 4 that require the use of a galactic hyperdrive? Perhaps one could be moved to galaxy 5 and another to galaxy 6?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Are there? There is actually only one mission that requires the player to have a Galactic Hyperdrive installed. Otherwise the mission won't start. For clever Jamesons there are also ways of working around its actual usage.

So, there is no mission that absolutely requires the use of a Galactic Hyperdrive.

But of course, if you have done that mission and used your Galactic Hyperdrive, then you would have to go round in order to try out other missions in Galaxy 4.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Nova and deposed both need a GH and lovecats will only start once deposed is complete.

There may be cunning workarounds to avoid some of these but that's hardly the point.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I'm not sure, but there might be a workround for Nova by using a fuelpod instead of the GH.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

TGHC wrote:
I'm not sure, but there might be a workround for Nova by using a fuelpod instead of the GH.
Using a fuelpod is like cheating for this mission. And as McLaine wrote, you don't actually have to use the GH. I never did, as it brings you to an other galaxy and you can't finish the other missions.
Hoopy wrote:
lovecats will only start once deposed is complete.
Not right, lovecats only needs the nova mission to be completed. And when you used a GH to complete nova you have to cycle 8 galaxies to start with lovecats.

Only deposed starts in 4 and ends in 5 as the documentation also warns.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

There is a clash between Nova and Deposed, and it is best to complete Nova before loading the deposed OXP
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Thank you all for your answers. Galaxy 2, here I come!

Don't panic: FSOneblin
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Are you done with all missions in Galaxy 1?

There is Long way around, The Scourge of the Black Baron and Spyhunter. There is also the Taranis mission (for this one you need also a ship OXP, the Outrider, to be installed). And finally there is Asteroid Storm, which will, together with a mission, give a greater variety in the shape of asteroids in the game.

Sooner or later you will get the first native mission, the Constrictor Hunt, which will inevitably lead you to Galaxy 2. (Though it can also start if you're already in Galaxy 2, you won't miss it thus.)

All this information and more is available on the missions page of the wiki.