Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

ECM hardened missile bug?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

thefatllama
Average
Average

ECM hardened missile bug?

Post by thefatllama »

I've noticed a couple times after having killed somebody, when fuel scooping their cargo I suddenly explode...Today I finnally realized what the problem was : ECM hardened missiles!
When killing a python today, a yellow dot suddenly appeared close to him; I thought that it was another ship that had just witchspaced there (I was right by the witchspace beacon). I look to target him with 'r', I see 'ECM hardened missile' flash in front of my eyes and I'm dead!
So, somehow, the ECM hardened missiles are now classified as ships on my scanner instead of the blue of regular missiles...Is this normal?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

It would be helpful to provide a little bit more information. Which version are you using? Which system are you on. That'll help us to figure out whether this is a know or unknown bug, or what could have caused this behaviour.
thefatllama
Average
Average

Post by thefatllama »

I'm using the Beta version 1.69.1.1, I was somewhere in the top part of Galaxy 1. It's happened a couple times.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

thefatllama wrote:
...I was somewhere in the top part of Galaxy 1.
I think Commander McLane was probably asking what operating system you're using... OSX, Windows, Linux?
thefatllama
Average
Average

Post by thefatllama »

Hah, woops.
Mac OSX version 10.4.10
However isn't the problem somewhere in the code ? If the missile's using the wrong graphic...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

thefatllama wrote:
Mac OSX version 10.4.10
However isn't the problem somewhere in the code ? If the missile's using the wrong graphic...
If it was just faulty code, dozens of people must have seen the same bug. So it must be something more specific that only a few computers have. In my opinion it looks more like an OXP that has a missile with bad color definition in it.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Hmmm. I'm not sure. The hardheads are part of the game itself.

I am running with the same configuration: 1.69.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.10. I can't remember having encountered something similar.

However I just have discovered a small problem with Nuclear Missiles. I don't know what consequences this could have had.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

A couple of times, just after winning a fight, I have suddenly been blown up.

It might be this bug. I'll have to keep a look out.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I also had this problem: hardened missles appearing as ships on the the radar.
The problem was that I had the original aegidian-special.oxp installed, which included the ECM hardened missles before they were put into the game.
Removing this oxp solved the problem.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

In my aegidian-special.oxp there are no missiles at all. So either it is a later version and one should download the most recent version, or the hardheads were originally included in another OXP.

EDIT: Yes, indeed the former. The readme of my aegidian-special.oxp says:
readMe wrote:
Description:
Two ships: the Mussurana is a deluxe version of the Fer-de-Lance, and the Asp Special both with advanced modelling over the original ships. Also a new smooth pink cargo container and..

the "new hardware option: ECM hardened missiles", became included into Oolite proper, and is removed [murgh-19/1-06]
So with the most recent version of aegidian-special.oxp (which is almost two years old) this shouldn't happen.

...which again raises the question what causes the bug reported by thefatllama, because I wouldn't suspect he's got a pre-19/01/2006-version on his computer.
thefatllama
Average
Average

Post by thefatllama »

Commander McLane wrote:
...which again raises the question what causes the bug reported by thefatllama, because I wouldn't suspect he's got a pre-19/01/2006-version on his computer.
Oh really :-) Image

I downloaded oolite a LONG time ago, made about 6000 credits then stopped. I barely understood what it was about.

I started playing again a few weeks ago :-).
Thanks for the help though, deleting the aegidian-special.oxp made the ECM hardened missiles work!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Okay then. And sorry, I was just guessing from your time here on the forum. But then again, myself I didn't sign in here for a long time after I had played Oolite.

So your second step could be to download and install the fixed version from the link I posted above, and reinstall the OXP. It now should work buglessly.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

........and another satisfied customer :) WD Commander McLane
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"