A cry for help

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

starman2000
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

A cry for help

Post by starman2000 »

I played Elite on the C-64 many years ago and was happy to find Oolite for the Mac. Heres my little problem, my iMac is about 2 months old and I am still learning. what I am looking for is how do I use a joystick in Oolite.Any help or a point in the right direction would be great,thanks
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

When docked, press F2. You will see "Joystick Setup" as a menu option.

If this is not available then you first need to set up the joystick in the OS and I cannot help you there as I know nothing about Macs.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oolite for Mac OS X does not support joysticks. Your joystick driver, or third-party software such as USB Overdrive may be able to configure the joystick to work in such a way that it can be used with Oolite in full-screen mode with mouse control enabled.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Hi starman2000, welcome to the Oolite board! Always good to hear of a new player enjoying the game. :D

I am a Mac user, and I've used the USB Overdrive successfully with a Macally iStick and a Logitech Wingman II. It is very easy to set up for different games, saving a unique profile for each game. You'll have no difficulty finding Overdrive - if you don't know where to start, try Versiontracker - it's $20.

Does the job. Personally I don't like a joystick for Oolite, preferring the very accurate firing positioning allowed by the keyboard, but the joystick is much nicer for following difficult opponents through complicated manouevres! :wink:

Whatever you choose, have fun.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
starman2000
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

joystick problem

Post by starman2000 »

thanks fto all that answered, I would have never figured thatout