Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Has Oolite development come to an end ?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Burton
Competent
Competent

Has Oolite development come to an end ?

Post by Commander Burton »

Is it ?

v1.69 is in testing I see but I'm sure I read that the dev is putting it on ice.
Yours,

Cdr Burton
Elite
Since
MCMLXXXIV
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Oolite most certainly has not stopped developing!

Since the loss of the original developer, there have been a number of people, particularly Ahruman, who have taken up the challenge of continuing the refinement of the application, as well as many other contributors providing ever more sophisticated Add-ons in the form of oxps.

Ahruman has made it clear that there may well be a point at which he says, "Enough!", and runs off into the sunset, but, fortunately, that hasn't happened yet!

If you read the Oolite-Mac topic, you'll get a good idea of how much work he is still putting into solving various problems, improving many aspects of the application, increasing the scope for missions, and other coding challenges.

We've been fortunate to garner other talented coders who have picked various bits of the original code apart and sorted out new ways of doing things, plus some outstanding artists providing ships 'n stuff of extraordinary quality.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Here Here to all of that
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Has Oolite development come to an end ?

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Burton wrote:
Is it ?

v1.69 is in testing I see but I'm sure I read that the dev is putting it on ice.
Where have you read that? If you're referring to the original developer Giles Williams (aka Aegidian), yes, you're right. He left Oolite in October 2006 and with version 1.65.

But there has been a lot of development since then, namely by Ahruman and namely by the steps of 1.67, 1.68, 1.69, 1.69.1 and 1.69.1.1-mac. The latter two are in the stage of testing through a lot of volunteers, that can be witnessed on the boards. The result of the bug-squashing going on ATM will be Oolite 1.70, which--as far as Ahruman tells us--will not yet be the next stable release, but rather the next step towards the next stable release (don't find right now where he wrote that). Whether Ahruman will stay as our lead developer after the next stable release is up to him, and I don't think he has decided on that yet.

That's all I know, and for the moment I'm happy with it.