Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Superfast cargo pods

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

David Falkayn
Poor
Poor

Superfast cargo pods

Post by David Falkayn »

A couple of times, after destroying a ship, I've attempted to scoop up the wreckage, only to find that it was moving faster than I was. Now, since I'm flying around in a Python, I realize that there are things out there that are faster than me, and I've found a couple of ways to deal with this, namely Witchspace Injectors and short in-system jumps. But these tend to lead to a couple of pods being accidentally smashed. Is there any way to blow up a ship that will ensure it's cargo doesn't go flying off at "escape velocity?"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

When badly damaged, a lot of traders will eject cargo in a (vain?) attempt to save their lives, hoping you'll stop to garb it. Laser the ship up gently, so that it starts venting plasma. Now get in its slip-stream. Quite often it will start spilling cargo almost into your scoops. Give it a blast of laser occasionally, but not enough to kill it. This will often prompt him into launching escape pods. Scoop them too! Unpiloted the ship grides to a hault. Turn and destroy the hull. As it was stopped, any unejected cargo inside won't drift far.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Welcome to the Boards, Commander Falkayn!
I have to concur with the Small Fierce Ursoid solicitor. 'Ruffling' a cargo-carrying victim pirate until they dispense 1-tonne canisters of profit is by far the easiest means of getting cargo. Another, slightly more risky, tactic is allowing your target to get on your six o'clock, where you can bring your aft beam or Military laser to bear. Slow down, forcing them to do the same, laser 'em to death, then pitch over and drop thrust to dead slow and the cargo will pretty much park itself in your 'space shovel'.

N.B. Don't try this if you haven't got a shield booster as your premature death by lasering may ensue.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Sadist! :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

TGHC wrote:
Sadist! :wink:
To whom are you refering? :)

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I was referring to LB pulling the legs off one by one :twisted:
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Sadists all of you (including me, of course! :twisted:)!

So how many ways can we come up with to "milk" a trader?

And of course welcome to the board, David Falkayn! (Although you logged in a couple of weeks ago, but nevertheless the first post is a reason for a welcome!)
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I do have a weapon that can override a target's control systems and activate the cargo jettison mechanism, so even the most powerful ships can be made more succeptable to pirates. Might have to add that one to the Missiles and Bombs OXP, though at a suitably high price.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Woohoo, so that means we can attack an imperial courier and make them jettison their illgotten gains, sounds like a really expensive piece of kit!
Captain Hesperus

Ramirez wrote:
I do have a weapon that can override a target's control systems and activate the cargo jettison mechanism
Oh! Laxative Missile! :lol:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ramirez wrote:
I do have a weapon that can override a target's control systems and activate the cargo jettison mechanism, so even the most powerful ships can be made more succeptable to pirates. Might have to add that one to the Missiles and Bombs OXP, though at a suitably high price.
Yes, definitively! Sounds really cool! :D 8) :P
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
For a long time I've been calling it the prolapse missile!

I've taken a quick break from my Trident Down testing (almost done!) and have knocked up a piece of kit based on the MBDA Storm Shadow:

Who wants to start the bidding?
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Ramirez wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:
For a long time I've been calling it the prolapse missile!
I've taken a quick break from my Trident Down testing (almost done!) and have knocked up a piece of kit based on the MBDA Storm Shadow:
Who wants to start the bidding?
Oh! Uh! How nice, an atmospheric-capable guided missile!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Nice! :D

How much cargo will it force its victim to eject? One cannister? All of them? Is it vulnerable to ECM? IMO all those factors should influence the price.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's a very good likeness to the real thing. Apart from forcing cargo pods to be discharged, will it eventually impact with the target, or is it just a proximity role.