Problem with Wolf MKII OXP and Generation Ship

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jakob Kramer
Above Average
Above Average

Problem with Wolf MKII OXP and Generation Ship

Post by Jakob Kramer »

For some reason this OXP doesn't seem to work for me.

I'm using v. 1.68 on a PC (Win XP).
My PC has the SIS graphics chip that isn't ideal for playing Oolite (it messes up the HUD "radar"), but I don't know if the chip's the source of the problem.

It appears that the Wolf is not even recognised by Oolite. If I choose not to load a commander at startup the ship doesn't apear in the "ship slideshow".

I haven't that many other OXPs installed:
Behemoth, Cargo_Wrecks_Teaser, Commies, Custsounds, Dictators v1.2, dreams01beta, FighterHud_MkII, Freaky Thargoids, genship and Lave.

BTW it seems that the generation ship doesn't work as well (it doesn't appear in the slideshow). I am not sure whether the Freaky Thargoids work... they seem pretty normal to me whenever I encounter them.

Does anyone know what may be the cause of the problem?

Added: I tried removing the dreams01beta and Commies OXPs since they contain quite a lot of ships (I wanted to check whether it was a memory problem - that is, that the SIS chip didn't have enough memory to process all ships), but the Wolf and the Generation Ship still do not appear.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Some OXPs do not have their content ships presented at the startup screen. This does not necessarily mean that the game does not recognize them, though. Check the stderr.txt file for reported errors. For version 1.68, I think this is found at the main Oolite install folder. If no errors exist, then the OXP is most likely recognized.

Also check your stderr.txt for messages reporting OpenGL version and errors like "shaders will not be used". I can bet that the SiS chipset does not support OpenGL fully, let alone shaders. This may explain the absense of freaky thargoids.
Jakob Kramer
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jakob Kramer »

Problem solved.

I had made a (noob) error when unzipping the Wolf files. They were packed in a directory named Wolfmk2, but inside this directory were the folders and files that should be placed in the Addons folder. I completely missed that and placed the wolfmk2 folder in the addons folder, causing Oolite to miss this OXP when loading.

Everything works fine now.
The Gen. Ship still doesn't appear, but perhaps thats on purpose.

And as for the SIS chip... I'm sure it doesn't support Open GL fully :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The generation ships OXP does not display any ships on the demo screen. The Wolf mk II works here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

*** SPOILER ***

Generation Ships never appear in normal space. You have to make a misjump to encounter one.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
*** SPOILER ***

Generation Ships never appear in normal space. You have to make a misjump to encounter one.
And even then they are as rare as rocking-horse droppings. I've only ever seen two in the (many) times I've misjumped/bug-hunted.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Really? The probabilities must’ve been tweaked since the version I’ve got, then.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

is there a way to deliberately misjump? bug-hunting as you say?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

nijineko wrote:
is there a way to deliberately misjump? bug-hunting as you say?
Pitch up just before the hyperdrive kicks in (2-1 sec) and hold it, then you'll misjump. Make sure you either have behemoth.oxp or fuel_tank.oxp, otherwise you'll be fighting bugs until you get to Elite or you end up bug-food.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
*** SPOILER ***

And even then they are as rare as rocking-horse droppings. I've only ever seen two in the (many) times I've misjumped/bug-hunted.

Captain Hesperus
That's strange. I ended up deinstalling generation ships again, because two of them turned up on every misjump. And then after very few seconds all thargoid ships blew up and the framerate dropped to 'annoyingly small'.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

interesting! what does a double ring mean? i found a wormhole that had a brilliant small blue circle in the center of it. first of it's type that i've ever seen. they usually look like a blue disk. but this one was a double ring with one being really small and brilliant and the other the usual size and color.

i'll try that out next time. *attaches a huge heat sink to his laser*

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

A bright blue ring occurs when a hyperspace ship arrives, the blue disc is when a ship departs, it seems that coincidentally they both happened at the same time in the same place on the screen, a very rare occurence, I would think.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

yeah, it was just sitting there too. no ships around. literally looked like a two-colored disk. should have taken a screenshot. sorry. ^^