Old Chestnut from a Newbie

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Old Chestnut from a Newbie

Post by Robbeasy »

Evenin all - got a problem I'm sure has been dealt with, but I cant find any answers after an extensive search....

HUD trouble - after getting the new 1.69 version, the Dr.Hud Cobra HUD now appears Above the usual place, across the middle of my screen.

I dont think its related to the version, because i recall problems with earlier versions...

Anyone know why / can solve it for me??

Pretty please?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Are you upgrading from version 1.65? 1.65 and earlier had a bug where HUDs were drawn differently on different platforms. 1.67 and later fix this. HUDs that were optimized for Windows/Linux prior to 1.67 are erroneous and need to be fixed.
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

aah - is there a Cobra HUD for 1.69 then?? Or Do i wait for some wonderful person to create one?? or is there a simple fix...

Aaaaand, while we're at it - (told you i was a newb) - is there a limit to the number of ship oxps you can have??

I've been loaded my OXPs one by one, then testing them on 1.69, only i noticed that after a certain amount of ship oxps , i can no longer access the Ships for sale screen in-game....??
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Not a limit as such, but they all have to be loaded into memory. Playing with no OXps in means loading up about 10 Megs of textures, but all the OXPs in would mean loading up about 200 Megs. That could be a problem if your 'puter is a bit elderly! Works OK on my 4 year old Del though with all OXPs in.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

LittleBear wrote:
Not a limit as such, but they all have to be loaded into memory. Playing with no OXps in means loading up about 10 Megs of textures, but all the OXPs in would mean loading up about 200 Megs.
This is somewhat misleading. First, Oolite has always loaded textures on demand; unless you encounter every installed ship, not all textures will be loaded. Second, as of 1.69, Oolite is supposed to unload textures that aren’t being used, if more than a certain number are loaded. However, in 1.69 and 1.69.1, this number appears to be set to 1002… oops. Third, Oolite’s built-in texture files total 16.5 MiB, but they’re compressed; they could easily take three times as much in memory. Fourth, on platforms other than Mac OS X, it is necessary to keep two copies in memory… so the total will be well over 10 MiB.
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

update...

reinstall 1.65 - dr.HUD behaves lovely

1.69 - dr.HUD has graphic overlay across centre of screen...

I have the latest version of Dr.Hud, as far as i can tell.....

also...

Advanced compass - works in 1.65 fine, not working in 1.69....
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think the problem was that there was a Bug in 1.65 relating to where the HUD is placed. The Doc and other HUD builders took advantage of the bug and placing their huds, knowing Oolite would put it in the wrong place and so took account of this when setting the position co-ordinates. They placed the HUDS too high knowing the Bug in Oolite would mean it was displayed in the right place. Now the Bug is fixed, the HUDs appear in the wrong place! It would need the Doc to fiddle with the hud, or you could probabley fix it yourself by changing the numbers in the hud.plist to move it to the right place.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Just have a search through the boards. I remember at least one topic with a step-by-step explanation how to correctly place the hud. All you have to do is replacing the "corrected" number with the original one. Both are mentioned in that thread. So you really only need to search.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i have no troubles with the adv space compass, but the adv nav array doesn't seem to do anything that i can tell. i probably mistook what it is supposed to do perhaps.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

nijineko wrote:
i have no troubles with the adv space compass, but the adv nav array doesn't seem to do anything that i can tell. i probably mistook what it is supposed to do perhaps.
On the long range map screen, press ^ (shift-6).
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

ahah. thanks! i somehow thought i was supposed to press shift-1 (!) and it didn't do anything-or so i thought until i noticed that i now had a map of the spacelanes in my oolite folder. ^^ so i figured, no biggie, i can pause the game to reference it. =D

is it in the help file that says to press shift-1? i'll try the shift-6 to see what happens. thanks!

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I don’t think it’s in any documentation, but it was ! in 1.68. I changed it after someone complained about accidentally launching when trying to press it, and using the same button as the map screen selector seemed sensible.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I believe the only place where the ANA is sufficiently documented at the moment is the related page on the Wiki.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

well, consider it an undocumented feature, but i think that the "!" output a galaxy map into my oolite folder without me having the adv nav. ^^

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That was a documented feature, but was removed.