Planet textures

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

elite
Deadly
Deadly

Planet textures

Post by elite »

My PC is having problems showing up the new planet textures.
I have version 1.68 and I pause the game, push T, then unpause the game.

Upon hyperspacing to a new system the planets do look a little different but not like what I have seen on some screen shots.

I am not sure what graphics card my laptop has but I play other high end games like Klingon Academy, Call Of Duty, War Craft, ect.... and the graphics on those games look cool even on the highest settings.

This game, by comparision, doesn't seem to be that demanding on pc resources.

I am running Win XP with a 1600Mhz processor.

The planets in this game look like this to me...
www.naturalaromas.co.uk/oolite/1.jpg
www.naturalaromas.co.uk/oolite/2.jpg
www.naturalaromas.co.uk/oolite/3.jpg

I like said, because other games work well on this laptop, I can't see how this game wouldn't be just as good.

Any ideas?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’m not sure about that particular set of bugs, but there have been a number of cases where Oolite doesn’t set up drawing state properly that have been fixed (or otherwise changed) for 1.69. Please report back on this issue once 1.69 is out.
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

Ahruman wrote:
I’m not sure about that particular set of bugs, but there have been a number of cases where Oolite doesn’t set up drawing state properly that have been fixed (or otherwise changed) for 1.69. Please report back on this issue once 1.69 is out.
Once v1.69 is out I will install that and see what happens.

I have also taken out all oxp folders in the Add On's folder and uninstalled the game, then done a fresh install, but still no joy.

I notice that my planetinfo.plist file in the directory oolite/oolite.app/resources/config/ has this in it:

<!-- Set this to 1 to enable the procedurally generated planet and cloud textures. A value of zero
means use the game's default planet and cloud rendering routines. -->
<key>generate_textures</key>
<integer>1</integer>

<!-- Set this to 1 to draw the cloud textures, 0 to not draw the atmosphere. -->
<key>show_atmosphere</key>
<integer>1</integer>

<!-- The width of the textures generated for planets and clouds. Must be a power of 2. -->
<key>texture_width</key>
<integer>512</integer>

<!-- The height of the textures generated for planets and clouds. Must be a power of 2 and half
of texture_width. Probably take this out later and calculate the value from texture_width. -->
<key>texture_height</key>
<integer>256</integer>

I took these out and also deleted the file but there was no difference.
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

I like those planets. Reminds me of the BBC back in the day. Tried to reproduce the bug, but without success (am on Mac). Can this be a "feature"?