Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship designs.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Miangele
Above Average
Above Average

Ship designs.

Post by Miangele »

this might be a bit silly, but i really wanted to talk about the ship designs in elite for a bit, just because i like them so much.

i guess it's sort of odd that i like the ship designs so much, given that they're largely featureless geometric objects, but really, i think that's why i like them. they're quite spartan, but also sort of practical looking. they'r enot festooned with a bunch of useless junk or anything (sort of like the hardwar moths, actually. i like those a lot too).

then again, though, i'm really not sure why i like them so much, beyond that. maybe it's because, even though they're simplistic, they're very distinct looking? hard to say ;)

i guess i'm just wondering what everyone else things about the particular look the elite series has.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I agree with you completely. The design of Elite/Oolite ships is very appealing to me. Thus, even if they were to be expanded upon in future designs and improvements, I'd hate to lose touch with the original design.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I love the classic simplicity of the original designs. Simple to render, simnple to draw and pleasing to the eye. The Cobra Mk 3 is a clever design. When viewed from top or bottom it looks like the splayed neck thingies on a real snake.

The Viper and Fer-De-Lance just look mean and pointy.

I've tried to keep the original feel with teh Dream Team designs (which I am still working on!) but give them an added...something...
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Selezen wrote:
I love the classic simplicity of the original designs. Simple to render, simnple to draw and pleasing to the eye.
Not to mention functional, with a good internal volume while having a slim profile.
The Fer-De-Lance just look mean and pointy.
A spear head is supposed to look mean and pointy. :wink:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

I love the retro '80's look to the original designs. Kind of reminds me of the DeLorean. Hey, they're retro-rockets! :P
Insert witty saying here
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
The Fer-De-Lance just look mean and pointy.
A spear head is supposed to look mean and pointy. :wink:
simple is elegant. elegant is good. good looks are pretty.

Just look at the lancet/lance in the Tionisla graveyard...very sleek and very pointy. aggressive too. Avalable only at Tionisla in black&white or white&black colourscemes.
Riding the Rocket!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I agree. I like the original ships because they are so simple. And I also don't think a game needs pumped up graphics to be enjoyable.

Edit: Oops, what was that? I wanted to say the contrary of what I wrote. Damned double negations! (Corrected now!)
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It's always a blast from the past playing strict mode, those wireframe models couldn't be any simpler, ................damn fine looking!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Never tried strict, didn't see the point in missing out on OXPs.
I have been longing for the vector models though. ;)
Maybe I'll try it some. 8)
Riding the Rocket!
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

Ship design

Post by *cat »

Speaking of design, what's the story of the ship in your little picture (avatar, logo?), AH? It's cool, but doesn't remind me of any of the Oolite ships.
In fact, it makes me think "Duck!"
Whether *any* of the ships could aerodynamically manage a planet landing is questionable anyway, but please don't anyone take away that "unrealistic" space flight - I tried and tried to learn to fly in Frontier, but *couldn't* manage it! :oops:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It’s clearly a Thargoid Somethingorother. (Frigate, as I recall. It’s an OXP.)
United Blobs
Competent
Competent

Post by United Blobs »

Last edited by United Blobs on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

No, no. A “thargon” is a Thargoid robot fighter. That thing is a Thorgon. Or Thargorn. Or Thorgorn. Depending on which piece of the page you choose to read. Perhaps the esteemed OXPer should pick one and update the page appropriately. :-)
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Ahruman wrote:
No, no. A “thargon” is a Thargoid robot fighter.
I thought that was a Tharglet or did I imagine that fact? :?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: Ship design

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

*cat wrote:
I tried and tried to learn to fly in Frontier, but *couldn't* manage it! :oops:
Well, well, well! Haven't we slacked off in our physics classes?

WARNING: INCOMING PEDANTRY

First of all, you have to understand the concepts of motion.

According to Newton's laws of motion, to change the momentum of a ship you need to apply a force.
Even if you are well clear of any astronomical objects, you'll notice that in the long term the ship's velocity (and probably its direction too) will change; this acceleration is caused by a force called gravity.

</me throws a piece of chalk> Hey, listen up!

Gravity won't be a factor to consider in space combat. However, when related to planetary approaches, docking or low altitude combat, you should take it as an important factor.

But for now, relative motion. Even though you may be speeding at thousands of Kilometers per second and unable to change that in a short moment, anyone who is at the same speed and direction will be static IN RELATION TO YOU.

This means... WAKE UP! ...this means that even slight applications of force will change your relative motion, and this is the foremost component in space combat maneouvering.

We will show these changes with vectors.
Vectors may represent variations of force, acceleration or speed...

Where are you going? HEY, I didn't dismiss the class yet! COME BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!!!

Ah, go on, then, be yet another young rebelious whipersnapper, join a pirate gang and get killed quickly, if you think that your great arcade highscores will be of any good out there against someone who actually understands their physics!

And no, your autopilot won't be of any use in a fight either - actually, turn it off or you might take an innocent trader when you crash into him!

PFFFffffft! Damn this young generation's manners, there's no respect any more.

If I did something like THAT, my father would flay the skin off my back with a bundle of barbed wire (the military razor variety too, not that shameless knotted string you see around), but now? No touching, they say! Can't even give them a taste of a wet towel, what to say of a cane.

Even mother hens will peck on their chicks if they misbehave, and cats will paw theis kittens to make them obey. As for us, we aren't raising citizens any more, but libertins. Don't give them values, call that an education, and then complain about the youth going bad, and the likes!

Oooooh, if it was in my times!...
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.