Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vista seems to run 1.68

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

hwtan
Competent
Competent

Vista seems to run 1.68

Post by hwtan »

I just tried 1.68 on windows vista. It seems to install well and run ok. I have yet have the time to test every aspect of 1.68, yet so far so good.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

this is going to make this a bit 'off topic' now......buuuuut....what's Vista like, is it worth upgrading? (I've got XP Pro at the moment)
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

I just started for a week or so and do not have time to really use it yet. For now, I have some hardware driver problems. Most of my old hardwares have problem finding drivers (may be because they are really old!).

Installation is fast. It has a disk manager that allows user to partition the HD. Maybe because of the new CPU and graphic card, it is quite fast. Most of the applications runs fine but the utilities that touch the core of the OS may not run.

So, my suggestion is, if you are buying or building an all new computer, including the peripherals then Vista is something to think about. (To me I will take Vista). If you are upgrading, a lot of homework needs to be done, especially if you have hardwares like printer, scanner, sound card etc. These may not have the drivers for Vista. Also, the CPU and graphic card may not have the horse power to drive it smoothly.
RokChild
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Vista

Post by RokChild »

I have been using vista for a few months now, and apart from some nice graphical differences, there is little change, everything looks prettier. it gets to be a pain in the ass that you have to allow each installer to go ahead, but apart from that it is quite a good OS... Is it worth upgrading, that depends what you are after and if you are happy with XP..
The One The Only - RokChild