Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Test Version 1.68 Glowing

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Test Version 1.68 Glowing

Post by julyy »

Hm .. could it be, that in version 1.68 the glowing of the engines/pelts of the crafts are less intense now?

I could barly see them in that version, now. I got always the new Texture Mode on. They are a little, little bit too less intense.

Another thing is that I got 36T of load (with my 35t! CobMkIII) in space, scooping cargo from pirated ships. This happend only 1 times yet.

Also, if you fly close enough to a pirated ship which stands still after ejecting of the pilot, police vipers will surround you for an endless time but never attack.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

If you mean the engine exhaust, then yes, it does look like Ahruman has reworked them, I think they look good and you also get a better view out of the back.

The being able to scoop more than your hold can contain is a known bug, you must have scooped 2 cargo containers at the same time.

As for the police, well their AI is probably confused about the status of the pirate I would guess. I would assume that if you flew away from the pirate ship then the police would stay around that rather than you.
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Test Version 1.68 Glowing

Post by JensAyton »

julyy wrote:
Hm .. could it be, that in version 1.68 the glowing of the engines/pelts of the crafts are less intense now?
1.68 uses additive blending (as opposed to alpha blending) for glow effects. This is more realistic, but it requires rebalancing certain effects, including engine glow. In order to get the release out the door, I simply changed the intensity of all three layers of the engine glow to 40% of what it was; at 100%, the centre of the plume was always opaque white. The current look is brighter against some backgrounds (for instance, the glowing stern of the Shady Cobra), and darker against others (such as space). I’d like to see more people’s opinions before I decide whether to go back, adjust the intensity, change the drawing or leave it as it is for now.
julyy wrote:
Another thing is that I got 36T of load (with my 35t! CobMkIII) in space, scooping cargo from pirated ships. This happend only 1 times yet.
I’ve seen this once or twice. It’s hard to track down, and not a particularly grave bug… although it may be quite a simple issue, come to think of it. I’ll look.
julyy wrote:
Also, if you fly close enough to a pirated ship which stands still after ejecting of the pilot, police vipers will surround you for an endless time but never attack.
Avoiding shooting at a clean ship could be considered a feature, although without the Remora missile being fully implemented it’s hard to see what they expect the ower to do with the hulk. :-)
julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by julyy »

Yes I think also it looks better when you are close to a ship, but with the old look it also looked very beautyful, when a convoy draw this engine lines in space, this was always a nice atmosphere. My Point is only that this is gone now :( and that it is much harder to see the enemy whitout the scanner.

And thank you for the detailed information.
Last edited by julyy on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by julyy »

Found also:

A sunglasses like thing everytime I launch from stations. Sometimes very big and even more closer:

During flight, if I press "F6" and then "i", some icons arent displayed correctly. In Stations everything is ok:

Testversion 1.68 Mac / on iMac G5, 2.1GHZ, 1.5GB Ram, OsX 10.4.9
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

julyy wrote:
A sunglasses like thing everytime I launch from stations. Sometimes very big and even more closer:
This is your old engine exhaust. You should only see this if you launch, autodock, and launch again. It’s an oldish bug.
julyy wrote:
During flight, if I press "F6" and then "i", some icons arent displayed correctly. In Stations everything is ok:
Interesting. Could you post a picture where it’s not OK? :-)
julyy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by julyy »

Ahruman wrote:
Interesting. Could you post a picture where it’s not OK? :-)
Ah! Sorry Ahruman, the square mit the X is "Democrazy". ;) I am very silent now ...
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Ahruman wrote:
I’d like to see more people’s opinions before I decide whether to go back, adjust the intensity, change the drawing or leave it as it is for now.
I much it prefer it in the new lightness, as you can actually see out of the back window now. Particularly useful for trying to shoot down in coming missiles.....
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I made it slightly more intense a few days ago, having had a chance to see more of it in contexts other than looking at a Shady Cobra from behind, but not a big bump.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

julyy wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
I’ve seen this once or twice. It’s hard to track down, and not a particularly grave bug… although it may be quite a simple issue, come to think of it. I’ll look.
But i got an ASP mkII with 15t of cargo, because somehow i got a cargobay extention installed :S

not sure if it is related to the 36t Cobra mkiii bug though...

ps... but no fuel scoops as it should be...

-----
Windows XP professionel...
2.8 ghz Intel
1.5 gb ram
ATI X800XT 256 mb