Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Shooting down missiles

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

zeep
Competent
Competent

Shooting down missiles

Post by zeep »

Back on the MSX Elite i used to shoot missiles down just as easy as i would ECM them. In Oolite i've yet to succed in getting the suckers dead in my crosshair! Overall space combat is a tad tougher than back in the days, the difference in speed taken into calculation even.

Did i just get old and slow or is Oolite simply more tough??

Oh and is shooting down missiles still possible?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Shooting down missiles is possible, but very hard.
Callas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Callas »

Ahruman wrote:
Shooting down missiles is possible, but very hard.
It appears to happen to me when a target releases a missile while I'm in the act of shooting him. His missile appears to interpose itself between my laser rifle and my target.

I must say though I find the crosshair to be inaccurate. To score hits I have to fire a few pixels below the crosshair center.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

An aft mounted plasma cannon can be handy for shooting down closing missile. Although the plasma does little damage, its enough to take out a missile. As it tends to go everywhere, a few "globes" in the general direction of the missile often does the trick. :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Callas wrote:
I must say though I find the crosshair to be inaccurate. To score hits I have to fire a few pixels below the crosshair center.
The crosshair shows you which direction is forwards. The laser generally doesn't fire from the same place as your view camera, so there’s an offset. Blame the ship’s designer for bad camera placement. :-)
Bringer of torture
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Bringer of torture »

What seems to happen regularly for me is that am in the act of shooting at a ship and it launches a missile as the lasers are playing over the launch point. This seems to inflict serious damage even on ships that I have barely begun to shoot up and I have regularly seen a "brand new" Fer de Lance blown to bits as they seem especially vulnerable to this mishap.
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics" W.T Sherman