Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Dream Team - Revisited

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

The Dream Team - Revisited

Post by Selezen »

I'm working on the Asp as the next addition to the Dream Team OXP. I've got two ideas for colour schemes but ain't sure if they look particularly good. I'm trying to get a distruptive camo scheme but keep the asp snake skin colour.

Do they work?
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

I personally prefer the second... the first looks a little too bovine, unless it steers like a cow.
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

I prefer the second one but wouldn't you just go for black if you wanted camouflage?
The first one looks like some kind of pet to me!! :wink:
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I thought you were going for detail? I must say I prefer Giles’s Asp Mark II Special/asp-high.dat from aegidian-special.oxp.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

:( :cry:

All my hard work...wasted...

<deletes Wings file from memory stick in fit of pique>

OK then, Fer-de-lance then - we'll call the Asp Special the Dream Asp then. :P

<sulks>
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

What, I hold all the votes now? Maybe others disagree. :-)
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

Selezen,
Please: </deletes Wings file from memory stick in fit of pique>, </sulks>
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

Dare I say it, redoing the basic ships is far harder than I expected...

It's a bit like making movies - Do an original and it stands or falls on its merritts. Do a 'film-of-a-book' or a remake and no matter how good it is it will never match up to individual expectations / wishes...

I've stepped away from this project because my plans for a quick update were never going to be good enough.

What's this got to do with the price of coffee?

I'd suggest the nature of this project means that reasonable critisism will come thick & fast ( I'm sort-of with Ahruman on this one )

Having said that, PLEASE don't give up Selezen - awsome work so far. Some 'fiddling' will likely produce an version that pleases more people.

My best wishes for your continuing efforts.
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

black - well, i mean, yeah - obviously. in real life. but, this is a game and we wanna see all the hard work someone put in! i was going to do a black Vampire but to me black paint makes a ship "uber" as much as power stats, cos they're buggers to see and i think would spoil the game a bit. i THINK the Reaper's ok due to teh amount of white paintwork breaking up the dark, but i've only seen one in the wild and i was Fugitive at teh time so i scarpered fast before she could see me :-D

Sel - the first one does look a bit cowish (or is that cowesque??) but the second one's cool - spikey urban camo looking. if you wanna keep the snake theme, rattler patterns are probbly best, if you maybe convert their drab browns to shades of gray.
the odd white spot on the skin might go someway to simulating stars behind the ship, as a way of spacial camo.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Like the model and I prefer the 1st skin. Maybe just some greens and browns in the rather than all black "slodges". Hit undelete slezen! The asp is a tricky one to remodel as you can't really fiddle with the shape too much. Think the model is good, just a bit more detail on the skin.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

The camo: decrease the scale of the pattern or tone down the contrast.

What sort of camo would a ship use to hide in an asteroid belt?
Riding the Rocket!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Well, the camo would just be to hide when powed down on a planet surface in "silent running mode". Camo doesn't make logical sense in the 31st Century when you can be detected by a scanner (but maybe you can't when powered down and landed on a planet surface, so a visual camo might be useful). But as a skin it would look nice and reflect the Asp's "Army" roots, regarless of wheather it makes sense! The Navy have to paint their ships some colour, so why not a Camo text? :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Camo doesn't make logical sense in the 31st Century when you can be detected by a scanner
or get cloaking devices! :-D

camo reflects where you wanna hide so black w/ perhaps white spots for normal space, bright colours if you were stationed in a nebula etc. military - well, aside from a standard colour, what about squadron insignia like on the F14 tailfins etc? or since they're supposed to be intimidating, mebbes all ships would have shark teeth like the old F4s/Cobra gunships).

by the time the 31st century arrives, i reckon the Navy will have fully adopted/refined this >:-)
http://projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pr ... xv/oc.html
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Don't worry, I'm not really giving up - I'm not European enough to let one negative comment put me off!

I am having a bitch of a time with this one though. I feel I was starting to just put 'air intakes' on each model and call it done, and I'm trying to avoid doing that with the Asp. The trouble is that the Asp Special is such a cool mod, it's hard to top it.

The camo skin is just too cowie. Multiple layer camouflage is probably better, but as mentioned the best camo colour for space is black, hence the black detail.

The skin is not nearly finished, by the way - I still have surface detail to draw and weathering to do as well as polish off the paintwork. I might start again with the skin - neither are very good IMO.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm also working on a version to keep Ahruman happy too. ;-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Selezen wrote:
Don't worry, I'm not really giving up - I'm not European enough to let one negative comment put me off!
I resemble that remark.

As for the idea of white spots on a black space ship for camo in space: er, no. That really wouldn’t give the impression of stars. Matte black would be best.