Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Chaff and Flares?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

NHMick
Average
Average

Chaff and Flares?

Post by NHMick »

We've got the ECM for standard missiles, but the only defense against hardheads is a combination of fancy maneuvering and injectors until the missile runs out of gas. How about a second anti-missile defense, dropping chaff or flares to redirect a hardhead, once you discover to your dismay that ECM didn't kill the incoming missile?

Some limitations that could be built in:

- Torpedoes and nuke-heads would be immune to chaff/flares (they are slow-moving enough that if you can't avoid them, you deserve to get nailed)

- Chaff/flares do not operate with 100% effectiveness - sometimes the hardheads aren't fooled. Maybe a 50-50 chance of them working?

- Launching a chaff/flare pod could come at the expense of a random piece of cargo (1 ton of cargo or 1kg of gems/metals)

- The chaff/flare launching system could occupy a missile bay, so that you'd have to sacrifice one missile slot. Each chaff/flare pod would contain 4 or 5 charges before needing replacement.

- It would be available only at TL 12+ shipyards, cost about 1,500-2,000Cr (similar to the cost of a homing beacon launcher) and replacement pods would cost maybe 300-500Cr (assuming 5 launches per pod).

Feasible? I haven't the slightest idea about speccing this out, nor do I have even the smallest clue about writing code for this, so I'm just putting it out there as an idea. (Hey I'm a consultant - I come up with ideas, somebody else gets paid to do the work!).

-Mick
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Chaff and Flares?

Post by JensAyton »

NHMick wrote:
- Chaff/flares do not operate with 100% effectiveness - sometimes the hardheads aren't fooled. Maybe a 50-50 chance of them working?

- Launching a chaff/flare pod could come at the expense of a random piece of cargo (1 ton of cargo or 1kg of gems/metals)
…or there could simply be a chance of the missile going after an ejected cargo pod. :-)
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I have an anti-missile defence system in the works that could be developed into something like a chaff or flare dispenser with just a little bit of tweaking. It would be good to provide these to larger cargo ships who wouldn't usually have military shield enhancers but could expect to have more in the way of defensive equipment than just a standard ECM.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

how about a turret-style CIWS? >:-)
that would be fairly cool fo rthe big ships, a dedicated turret that would automatically *only* lock-up missiles, not ships.
could make it expensive, as a downside. also, fitted to the (eg) dorsal side would mean having to rotate the ship if the missile came from below.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Some flare pics:

I haven't looked at turrets for a while so I don't remember what kind of AI they use. If it's they're like any other ship it should indeed be possible to get them to focus on missiles.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

NHMick wrote:
We've got the ECM for standard missiles, but the only defense against hardheads is a combination of fancy maneuvering and injectors until the missile runs out of gas.
Or you can shoot them out your aft view. 8)
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I worked on anti-missile turrets for a while.

They inherit their target from their parent entity.
I tried to have them scanning for missiles within a certain range, then engage if found.

-I can't remember whether I was succesfull.
It may have been the case, that subentities (turrets) had their AIs reset to dumbAI regardless of what was entered in the shiplist entry.
Riding the Rocket!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

JensAyton wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 pm
NHMick wrote:
.... sometimes the hardheads aren't fooled...,
…or there could simply be a chance of the missile going after an ejected cargo pod. :-)
Umm - does this still work?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:03 pm
JensAyton wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 pm
NHMick wrote:
.... sometimes the hardheads aren't fooled...,
Umm - does this still work?
If hardheads are not smart enough to follow the engine trail it should work
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite