Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

..question!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

rollen
Competent
Competent

..question!

Post by rollen »

I believe that a competition was run in the early 90's for Elite gamers. The purpose of which was to start from Lave with 100cr and see how much money, kills and sore trigger fingers you could amass in 2.5 hours.

This has been mentioned in a few publications about the PC industry but I have never really heard any detailed information such as the end rating of the winner or the amount of kills and money they gained.

Does anyone else out there have any further info or references from this antiquated but nevertheless interesting topic?
"time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas"
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Didn't hear about that. The original BBC Elite gave you a code when you became ELITE. You were supposed to send back the code to Acornsoft and you got some goodies.

They stopped doing it, though, because too many people became ELITE!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Yes I have read about the unexpected response from the Elite postcard. The reference to a competition was from the Guardian - I will try and find the link and post it up here. Its an interesting bit of writing.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

IIRC it was when the postcards came flooding in they realised they had created something special, because the knew how many hours you had to sit at a screen to become elite.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Yep. I understand that the competitor to Acornsoft looked at the game and suggested it should have "three lives and take about an average of ten minutes to play through". Thankfully the game went down the Acornsoft version!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

rollen wrote:
Yep. I understand that the competitor to Acornsoft looked at the game and suggested it should have "three lives and take about an average of ten minutes to play through". Thankfully the game went down the Acornsoft version!
I think that was EMI, (I worked for them for 10years and left them in 1978!) At least they signed up the Beatles. :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
rollen
Competent
Competent

Post by rollen »

Well I have found this excerpt from the Grauniad which gives some trivia about the game and mentions the competition as well as the very early stages of putting the game together. It is very interesting from a geek like perspective - if it was worthy I suppose a link on the OOlite site might be possible although we would have to watch out for the local star systems intellectual property laws. Enjoy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story ... 07,00.html