Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Overall stability and object count

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Overall stability and object count

Post by ArkanoiD »

While playing with thatgoid invasion on Geteve with battlebots involved, i get object count 350-500 and a) there are sudden freezes due to big explosions all the time and b) the worst thing, the game itself crashes randomly after several minutes. Does it depend of computing power (mine is 2.4GHz celeron), video card (radeon 9k) or system (RHEL4 linux)? Or just happens inevitably? Please share your expirience.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I haven't tried it on my lower spec pc, but I had no problems on my home pc which has an intel core duo 3.0Ghz, 2G ram and a useful graphics card, can't remember what it is, 128 or 256k dual type
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

TGHC wrote:
I haven't tried it on my lower spec pc, but I had no problems on my home pc which has an intel core duo 3.0Ghz, 2G ram and a useful graphics card, can't remember what it is, 128 or 256k dual type
well, so an upgrade may help..
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

When something big explodes, like a Pirate Cove or an Ixian Battle Cruiser, there's a slight lurch in performance.

But I have had over 800 objects in full screen mode and nary a crash.

Core 2 Duo iMac, 1GHz. OS X 10.4.8.
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think it is memory that really helps Oolite performance. My PC is pretty low spec (it came with 128M of Ram). It cost me £30 to put in another 500M and Oolite runs pretty well.

I did go a bit nuts with ships at Geteve though! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.