Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

transit time after witchspace jump

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

me
Harmless
Harmless

transit time after witchspace jump

Post by me »

hi all,

I'm new to oolite. After I do a witchspace jump it takes forever to get to the new planet's space station. The 'j' key works at first, but then craps out because of the gravity block. Then after 10+ minutes it will briefly work to get me on track to the new docking station.

Am I missing some feature to get around this boring wait?
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

If you stay out of the main space lane (a straight line between the witchpoint and the planet) you'll run into a whole lot less traffic. You could also use witchdrive fuel injectiors to hurry things along.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Welcome aboard

Mass lock occurs when you are in the vicinity of other ships, planets/moons, and space stations.

There are a couple of things you can do:

Firstly to dramatically speeed up interplanetry travel you can avoid the busy space corridor by flying off at an angle from the witchspace beacon and then after several seconds of using the jump drive, you can then head back on course to your destination planet. This is a good technique if you want to avoid combat, or are in a hurry.

Secondly for a mere 600Cr buy some witchdrive fuel injectors, by holding down the i on the keyboard they will speed you up significantly, they are also very handy in combat, enable you to outrun ECM hardened misiles, speed up final approach on sun skimming and also departure from a space station.

The Oolite Instruction Manual is here: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... ion_Manual
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ulli
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ulli »

And if the offending piece of gravity is a pirate, you can always put up a good fight ;-)

(but probably it's much cheaper to get the Fuel injectors than to get a good couple of Lasers)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I forgot to mention docking computers, these will speed up the game for you as well.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
morigen
Average
Average

moons

Post by morigen »

I wish there were moons!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Moons are in the Ooniverse!

See Lave.oxp, assassins.oxp and planets.oxp.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
morigen
Average
Average

Post by morigen »

I have the assassins and just found the lave one, but cant see any planets.oxp

thanks, though
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

morigen wrote:
I have the assassins and just found the lave one, but cant see any planets.oxp

thanks, though
See here

Captain Hesperus
"There I was shipping a hold full of gold and platinum, then WHAM! a moon comes out of nowhere and nails me! I mean, seriously, who'd have expected that in all the Ooniverse?"