Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

No buy/sell list.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Aster Azul
Poor
Poor

No buy/sell list.

Post by Aster Azul »

Basically, after I installed some OXPs and was playing around in Oolite, the buy/sell list stopped appearing. Passengers in my berths won't leave, either, even though I dock at the correct station. (Could be because I didn't deliver them in time?) Plus, when I dock, the game stops for a considerable period before loading the text screens. I usually have to exit and reenter fullscreen to force it to work.

I think this all started when I docked at a Rock Hermit base that was secretely a Pirate base. Is there anyway to fix the buy/sell menu (it appears as a blank screen now) and salvage my file?

New save files work normally, but I put a lot of effort into my current one. :cry:
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

If it's an OXP problem, you should be able to remove the OXPs to fix it. Do it one-by-one and you'll figure out which one caused the problem. (Don't remove any OXP you're depending on, such as the one containing your ship.)

You can also run Oolite from a command-line/console to see the debugging output. It's possible that will tell you what's going on.
Aster Azul
Poor
Poor

Post by Aster Azul »

I removed all my OXPs, but still no dice. My guess is that the Pirate_coves.oxp has coding to remove the buy/sell list from the menu of the Rock Hermits that are really pirates, but doesn't put it back or something.

Maybe I'll just start warming up my Nethack skills instead...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

It is probebley that somthing in your save file got corrupted, which would explain why Oolite is working with other commanders even with all the OXPs in. It might be possible to fix the save file with a text editor, but you'd need to know what your looking for (v. hard!). You may need to start over.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

Wow. You've reminded me that I have been neglecting NetHack. I have yet to ascend a priest. How will we choose between these two fine games?

Perhaps you could check the differences between a new save file and your current one, then just update the new save file to have the same number of kills, money, ship, etc. I personally don't think this kind of editing is save-scumming, since you're actually just fixing a problem.

Now we need to make a ship called the Yendor Amulet. :lol:
Aster Azul
Poor
Poor

Post by Aster Azul »

I guess I'll give editing the file a shot. I have the free time.

Although now I'm starting to get Nethack flashbacks. I have yet to ascend a Master Mind Flayer Wizard, or ascend during the November Contest.

Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

Oh, lord, the November contest is coming up. I once had a wizard with polymorph that I was about to ascend. I had polymorphed all kinds of gems. I was still collecting for high score the week before the contest.

Then it got busy at work, and I forgot about it... until the day after the contest.

I coulda been a contender!
Aster Azul
Poor
Poor

Post by Aster Azul »

Ooh, that's painful. I thought I was going to ascend last year for sure, but it turned out that somehow the Amulet I'd been dragging up to floor 1 was a fake...
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I have no clue what you both just said.....DIE!

:wink:
Now get back to topic please, I'm getting lonely. <:(
Riding the Rocket!
Aster Azul
Poor
Poor

Post by Aster Azul »

Well, I poured ALL OVER the file and tried to compare the nomenclature, but I couldn't find the problem. I suppose I could just paste my ship stats into a new file, though.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, but remember that Oolite is a multi-user modded game constantly in development! 8)

Thats the real fun of the game - its non-linear and completley user-expandable!

You guys want to do some wizards and elves OXP to mod the Oniverse then you can! :lol: The game is totally open ended and anybody can add new stuff to it. The only down side to this is Developers can make a mistake in an OXP :shock:

As a player you happly install a new OXP from Oosat, but it may only take one ] out of place in a 20,000 character script by a develper (I include myself in the blame) to completley prack up your save file! :oops:

It is sensible to save as JAMESON1, JAMESON2 etc rather than overwriting your commander with the same save name. That way if something does go wrong you can always go back a step without losing all your progress! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.