Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Want to come clean

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Want to come clean

Post by Judebert »

I accidentally shot a cop. I stopped as soon as I realized, and I thought I was fine because he didn't shoot back. Then I killed his original target, and he came after me. I injected all the way to the station, then docked manually, under fire, expecting to be fined or something.

No such luck. I was a fugitive, but now I'm an offender. How do I get my clean status back? A quick search of the forum and wiki doesn't reveal anything.
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Just make a few hyperspace jumps without getting into trouble and it should revert to clean.
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

you could also cheat the system by... o wait maybe you don't want to know. It's not as fun though... (but at least it's your not editing anything)
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

Yeah, I'd like to do it the realistic way. I don't think my insurance company would be interested in cleaning up my legal status in any real-world situation.

I've made a few jumps, now. I'm at a prime trading location, so they're all 0.8LY jumps. Still Offender. The only "trouble" I've gotten into is shooting other offenders and running away from trigger-happy cops. (Thank goodness the systems are so close together; I find myself using up half a tank just to inject to the station. And I still have to dodge the cop's lasers all the way.)

I've even helped the cops against a few fugitives, and assisted other ships once or twice. I tried doing some community service, clearing the spacelanes of asteroid debris.

Surely I could just pay a fine and get them to let me off? Or find a hacker on an anarchy planet to adjust it for me?
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

There, that's done it. I finally earned their trust. (Fools!)

I still think the hacker is a good idea. Maybe I'll build an OXP sometime.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The Link will clean your legal status but only when your working for them (you'd need Ionics OXP installed and to be playing the missions). Otherwise it is just a case of waiting. You will become clean again eventually. The escape pod wheeze works because it is your ship (rather than you personally that has the record). Maybe not realistic, but this is how it worked in Classic Elite, so Giles repoduced this in Oolite.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Judebert wrote:
I still think the hacker is a good idea. Maybe I'll build an OXP sometime.
you should, it's a good idea for a cute cheat. it would be cool if you could make the clandestine act of bribing your crime sheet cleared into something atmospheric.
consider music ;)
The man next to you is your lunch
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Murgh wrote:
you should, it's a good idea for a cute cheat. it would be cool if you could make the clandestine act of bribing your crime sheet cleared into something atmospheric.
consider music ;)
Something along the Mos Eisley cantina tune perhaps? Seedy place if there ever was one..
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

A more wretched hive of scum and villany you will never find.

We must be careful.

Say, if it's the ship that has the record, can I become clean just by buying a new ship? Or does the transponder go with it?
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

yes and ....yes.

You could always use your Yedi-mind-trick...
"My legal status is clean" Cop: "your legal status is clean, sah. Can I get you a soylent-sherbert?"

Or travel to a parallel universe and take a detour around an alternative timeline to clear your status is you are a trekkie. :P

If you are a sane person, however, you'd just buy a new ship like a good ooliteer.
Riding the Rocket!
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

Yeah, I'm saving up for a new ship right now. Those Python Class Cruisers look pretty good.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

building a fleet of them. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

I see buying a new ship and using the escape pod as the same type of thing, but I guess by buying a new ship you are paying money.
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/