Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Having problems with THE UNKILLABLE WALKING DEAD

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Zoot
Poor
Poor

Having problems with THE UNKILLABLE WALKING DEAD

Post by Zoot »

For reference, I'm running Oolite (very smoothly) on XP on a crappy Dell notebook. I've got the variant stations and new, old, rusty and xships installed, and I've swapped the music files for some Tchaikovsky.

. . .

So my unremarkable ship is in a dogfight with three pirates and I hit the injectors, leaving two in my dust. The third, an Asp mk II, comes after me and is shot to tatters by my aft military laser as per the plan. He starts corkscrewing to get away, so I turn around and fly at him, guns blazing - KABOOM. I'm awarded the kill and the money, but when the dust clears, the Asp is still there, violently spasming away and leaking like a scuttled paddling-pool. Ah, so I just shot his escape pod. Another mental note - Asps have escape pods now, adjust tactics accordingly, and why is my targeter not picking him up? He's a red blip on the IFF but my (undamaged) targeter doesn't acknowledge him. Well, never mind. Bye-bye, Asp Mk II. BZZZZZZZZZZ. (I have mildaudio installed too).

BZZZZZZZZZZZ.

BZZZZZZZZZZ.

BZZZZZZZZZZ.

. . . why's he not dead?

BZZZZZZZZZZ.

BZZZZZZZZZZ.

BZZZZZZZZZZ.

Fine, forget it.

So I turn around and fly away, and the bugger starts shooting at me. Pah! a close-range ECM hardened missile up his rhomboid sphincter should settle his pathetically limping hash . . .

OR NOT. Hmmm. I'm locked in a battle to the death with an indestructable ghost-ship, I'm nearly out of fuel, the station's miles away and my Cobra's targeting system has clamped its hands over its ears and is going LA LA LA LA LA LA. Up with this I will not put. Escape capsule.

So I'm picked up by the station, repair all my equipment, and plunge back into the fray. Soon, twenty yellow blips appear on my scanner. Oh frabjous day! There's a massive fight going on. I target the leading blip, a Cobra Mk I, and hit TAB. There's a beep and the Cobra pilot ejects in an exploding fireball of death. Another mental note - I have discovered the greatest glitch of all time. I hit TAB again and everything explodes as expected, except the Cobra Mk I, who immediately turns on me and begins slicing me up like a brick of Lurpak. This bastard is indestructable too! I have to eject again to get away from him.

Now I'm nervous about getting into fights with anybody, as clearly I'm being shadowed by the malignant spectre of my psychotic nemesis who can possess abandoned ships at will and pursue me to my death, in an eternal ouroboros of vengeance and rage.

And do Frogs have escape pods? Cause I've just had an amusing idea . . .

(FANTASTIC game by the way, well done you lot). - Z
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

Zoot
Poor
Poor

Post by Zoot »

Hah! Thanks for that, I hadn't seen that thread before.

Additional question - are there a finite number of Behemoths? because I just blew up the Loki and I'm loath to carry on with this game if it's gone for good.
Pathetic human! We'll use your icebergs for our steak
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

Zoot wrote:
are there a finite number of Behemoths?
20 in 8 galaxies. I think it's a teoric limit, anyway.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t= ... c&start=15
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

hmm...perhaps they SHOULD be limited in number! :roll:

deathactions and a missionvariable for each ship, checked everytime a behemoth is called for, could do the trick. :twisted:

Would quickly run out of behemoths that way....

maybe increment the shipnames?

Code: Select all

<key>name</key>
<string>Behemoth-Loki [MISSION_VARIABLE_LOKIDEATH_number]</string>
I wonder whether this would work...using [some description] in the name.
Gonna try tonight.
possibly with vipers: <s>[%P] Police</s>
Riding the Rocket!
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Star Trek solved this problem a long time ago...

Picard: We barely knew her.
Dr Crusher: Think they'll build another?
Picard: There are plenty of letters left in the alphabet.
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.