Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rings around planets?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Rings around planets?

Post by drew »

On thing I really liked about FE2 was the rings around planets. These are really only suitable for gas giants, which don't (as yet) exist in Oolite, but could there be a mechanism for adding rings to planets?

Just eye candy, I suppose, unless the rings could be dotted with interesting bits of debris...

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

I started tinkering with that a couple of days ago, but I don't have a lot of time right now so not much is happening.

I think any planet could have a ring system if a small moon or something was broken up in orbit.

One problem is that the rings will look pretty stupid when you fly close to/through them. I'm using gluDisk to create them so they're razor thin. I had two disks with two cylinders to make them thicker but it didn't look any better.

I also need to figure out how to create good textures for the rings. I haven't even started on that due to the above mentioned time problem.
Regards,
David Taylor.
Draco_Caeles
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Draco_Caeles »

I just ran FFE out of curiosity and had a quick jump out to Saturn in my Thargoid fighter ;)

The rings are generated as concentric circles of unit thickness, for obvious reasons. I wouldn't worry about it too much, David :)
Space Corps Directive #7214
To perserve morale during long-haul missions, all male officers above the rank of First Technician must, during panto season, be ready to put on a dress and a pair of false breasts.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I've made some Gas Giants for my Assassins.oxp, but they're are Jupiter types without rings. The task of adding hundereds of asteroids to make a ring was too much (and would have slowed the game down horribley)!

Last edited by LittleBear on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

last Giles wrote about this was in Oct.05 when addMoon and addPlanet came about:
aegidian wrote:
Actually that might not be too difficult. I'll put it into the back-mind and see if it emerges again.
Remind me after I finish with v1.58.
and then when reminded late Nov.05
aegidian wrote:
The rings will require a texture to be stretched round them. I'm still thinking about this...
but since, the considerable progress has been on other fronts..
The man next to you is your lunch
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Alternative way of doing it...

LOADS of asteroids circling it and a thin ring veil around them. Then it looks right from a distance and realistic at close up.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

CWolf wrote:
Alternative way of doing it...

LOADS of asteroids
It'd probably bring Oolite to a crawl, that way; too many objects, collision detection going in overdrive...

It would look kewl, though...
lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

Rxke wrote:
It'd probably bring Oolite to a crawl, that way; too many objects, collision detection going in overdrive...

It would look kewl, though...
I think the only way to do this, is to create this type of asteroids 'on the fly' as soon as the ship approaches the rings. From a bigger dinstance rings can be txturized... Transition between texturized and 'real' presentation must be investigated, of course.
Using a dynamic generation it's possible to avoid object count rising and collision detection pain.
As far as I know, at the moment this is not possibile in Oolite...