Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Assassins.OXP Pole

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Deathstar Appearance?

Yes - A battle with the Deathstar defended by Tie Fighters looks good.
9%
No - Epic battle by all means, but not so StarWars looking
91%

Total votes: 22

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Assassins.OXP Pole

Post by LittleBear »

The last mission will inevitabley have a Star Wars reference to it, as it involves taking out a massive (I'm taking small moon-sized) battlestation dominating the muti-planeted system, the player being paid by the freedom fighters who oppose the local Dictator.

It will be a Deathstar, but should it look like the Deathstar from StarWars or should it use a different desgin?

It is a one off and you will only see the beast (however it looks) in this one system, once when you do the mission.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

As much as I love Star Wars (and that is a LOT) I feel that this should be something new. A new planet size battlestation. After all, Oolite is about new ideas.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Oolite/Elite has a mythos of its own and I feel that it doesn't have to borrow from SW or ST or B5 or Galactica.

This is a world of its own and has enough nice fighter craft to do a pretty fantastic epic battle even without TIE fighters...
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Ok. Gonna go with Hertic's deathstar, defended by Ramon Shipyards defence ships. The rebels will have Navy Cobra MkIIIs! (a well equiped Cobra III with its stats boosted up a bit in the same way Giles did boosting a Standard Asp's stats to make a Navy Asp)

This makes sense in plot terms. Before you get to this point in the OXP, the player will have seen several iNEWS broadcasts covering the debates of the GalCop Union of Worlds Security Council. They are concerned that a Dictatorship possesses a hyperspace capable Weapon of Mass-Destruction!

But (bit of politics here), like the UN, the GalCop Union of Worlds couldn't get a mandate for direct military action, so instead provided military and fiancial aid to the Eszausveian Popular People's Front (Monty Python reference). Hence the involvement of a professional assassin in the whole mess!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

cool. no evil emperor then :D
The man next to you is your lunch
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Well sort of! Ramon's "Royal Barge" will contain the dictator. Your final mission (after the deathstar) will be to terminate him!
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

Wolfwood wrote:
Oolite/Elite has a mythos of its own and I feel that it doesn't have to borrow from SW or ST or B5 or Galactica.
Now Blake's 7 on the other hand... :roll:
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm, give the Rebels "The Liberator"....