Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXPs in Home directory

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

magamo
Competent
Competent

OXPs in Home directory

Post by magamo »

Heya folks. I'm just trying to get a little clarification on how OXPs on linux work. I currently have Oolite installed in ~/Oolite, Usually I install my OXPs in ~/Oolite/AddOns. Now, I'm considering reinstalling Oolite in a system-wide manner. (I'm working on a project right now to create Slackware packages, just for ease of installation, and version shifting)

When I try and move my OXPs to ~/.local/lib/Oolite/AddOns as is stated on Oosat2, I get no OXPs at all. Is this simply because of the user-based installation I currently have? Do I need to install it system wide?
TedJ
Deadly
Deadly

Post by TedJ »

I think Oosat2 has got it wrong.

I have Oolite installed system-wide and keep my personal OXPs in ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ - I'd imagine that this directory would also work with a local install too, it's part of Oolite's default search path... check the console during game startup.
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

TedJ wrote:
I think Oosat2 has got it wrong.

I have Oolite installed system-wide and keep my personal OXPs in ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ - I'd imagine that this directory would also work with a local install too, it's part of Oolite's default search path... check the console during game startup.
I noticed that too. Tested it out, it works brilliantly. With a little bit of bash scripting, my slackware 10.2 package for Oolite 1.65 works quite perfectly. I just have it check for the existance of the ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ directory, and create it, if it is not found, before running the game, so that the user then has the structure in place to install OXPs. I slapped in my AddOns directory in from the previous installation, and they all work as flawlessly as they had before.
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

And be careful with the spelling! I have the Debian install, and I just couldn't get my OXPs to work. Then I realized I was putting them in ~/.Oolite/Addons/ instead of ~/.Oolite/AddOns/ (note the capitalization error).

Things are working much better now. At least, it's parsing the addons and returning errors. I can't wait to see torus stations!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: OXPs in Home directory

Post by capt.Pirk »

magamo wrote:
Heya folks. I'm just trying to get a little clarification on how OXPs on linux work. I currently have Oolite installed in ~/Oolite, Usually I install my OXPs in ~/Oolite/AddOns. Now, I'm considering reinstalling Oolite in a system-wide manner.
Well, I have a Debian Install straight from APT. I have placed my 'AddOns' folder in the following path:-
/usr/lib/GNUstep/system/applications

I only found this after watching the startup/debug console search various paths :)
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

It seems to me we could make apt packages to install individual OXPs in the system-wide directory.

This couldn't be that difficult. What's involved in becoming a Debian developer, I wonder?
eddyp
Competent
Competent

Post by eddyp »

Judebert wrote:
It seems to me we could make apt packages to install individual OXPs in the system-wide directory.

This couldn't be that difficult. What's involved in becoming a Debian developer, I wonder?
This is planned, but I didn't had time for it, ATM. We, the Debian Games Team, intend to create a tool which would allow expasion packs, data files and simillar things which are not installed via APT, but will be after installing them with this tool.

If you want you could try to make regular Debian packages for the OXPs, and I can heklp you. Please contact me/us on my persoanl email or debian-devel-games @ lists.debian.org if you are interested ( I read from time to time this forum because reading forums exits my regular work/brosing patterns).
eddyp
Competent
Competent

Post by eddyp »

Judebert wrote:
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian