Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oooh! Nice!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oooh! Nice!

Post by drew »

Just blew up a pirate cove with the new 1.65 release. Nice bang!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

The new abng, bang, BOOOOMs are nice and fun aren't they! I love all the bits of metal that fly off big stuff.

Can the explosions hurt nearby ships?
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Cool, but why destroy it, (unless your ship is in bad shape and you won't be able to handle the pirates)? Once you kill all the ships, you can dock with it just like an ordinary Rock Hermit.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Commodore Sics D'fore wrote:
why destroy it,

Duh, Because It Is There! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Cool, but why destroy it, (unless your ship is in bad shape and you won't be able to handle the pirates)? Once you kill all the ships, you can dock with it just like an ordinary Rock Hermit.
I was hacked off with them, they had it coming. Attacking ME, after all! :wink: :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

but why destroy it,
1. It's the only language they understand.
2. That'll learn'em.
3. They won't do that again in a hurry.

I usually kill all the pirates, then dock, refuel, buy cheap precious things, and then destroy the cove as I leave.

Mmmmwwa ha ha ha! :twisted:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Ooh, I must try Q-bombing the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard with the new wreckage...
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

Don't let Selezen catch you...

;)
edible poet? onna stick?
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Eh, wassat?

Nooooooooooooooo! My monuments!!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Yes. Then, when you’ve docked with it, you destroy it.
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

I kept meaning to try it, just to see what it would be like, but I was putting it off to a time when I had just saved, because I thought that attacking it might make me a fugitive. Don't those poor rock hermits get legal protection? Or are they worth less than a nav bouy in the eyes of the law? :D

Of course, in the scenario we have been discussing, it is really a pirate cove though, in which case, I say, "No quarter!"..... But come to think of it, if it's a pirate cove, why would there be any trading when you docked? There would either be "free booty" now that the pirates are gone, or perhaps the thing would be set to self destruct if you killed all the pirates.

Hmm. At this point, this thread is edging into "suggestion box: territory.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Yes, I always think this is a bit odd.

1. You are attacked by pirates from their 'cove', you slaughter the lot of them and then dock at their base and it's like "Avast! Let bygones be bygones, m'lad. Yo ho. Cheap gems, squire? Bottle of rum?"

I figure you should either be boarded and pushed out of the airlock, or the cove is now deserted and everything is free.

2. You shoot up a bunch of cops in system space, get dire warnings, get shot at. You kill them and dock with the station and it's like "Never mind, plenty more vipers after all. We got queues of people lining up to be cops. Slip us a couple of credits and we'll sort it out for you. Time for trading, sir? I can get you a special deal on juniper berries..."

Here you should be arrested the moment you dock. It's half a galcop station after all. Must be someone on duty in there!

:lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
randall
Poor
Poor

Post by randall »

Weird one indeed :shock:

I always wondered why docking is free everywhere. When I drive to the mall I have to pay for having it in the car park.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

drew wrote:
Yes, I always think this is a bit odd.

1. You are attacked by pirates from their 'cove', you slaughter the lot of them and then dock at their base and it's like "Avast! Let bygones be bygones, m'lad. Yo ho. Cheap gems, squire? Bottle of rum?"

I figure you should either be boarded and pushed out of the airlock, or the cove is now deserted and everything is free.

2. You shoot up a bunch of cops in system space, get dire warnings, get shot at. You kill them and dock with the station and it's like "Never mind, plenty more vipers after all. We got queues of people lining up to be cops. Slip us a couple of credits and we'll sort it out for you. Time for trading, sir? I can get you a special deal on juniper berries..."

Here you should be arrested the moment you dock. It's half a galcop station after all. Must be someone on duty in there!

:lol:

Cheers,

Drew.

I've been fined and sent to prison twice. The 'attitude adjustment' seminar wasn't too bad but having to clean up after the treeoids is an experience I don't wish to revisit. Mind you, the fines was cheaper than an escape capsule and nowhere near as much money as I'd made making myself unpopular with the Zarian police department.
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

I blew up several Thargoid motherships over the weekend (I seem to encounter them rather frequently - perhaps too frequently), and the explosions were very cool, but crippling on the frame rate! Okay, so I'm only on a Mac mini, but it's fairly new :)