Editing keyconfig.plist

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

perplexed_user
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Editing keyconfig.plist

Post by perplexed_user »

I'm trying to customize my keymapping. I followed instructions for Windows here (I use Windows 10): lioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Keyboard_Controls.
I created a copy of keyconfig.plist, edited it, and put it in a new Config folder in AddOns.
(I don't have any extensions; this new Config folder is the only thing in my AddOns folder and the edited keyconfig.plist is the only thing in that Config folder. As per instructions for Windows 10, the AddOns folder is in the main Oolite directory at the same level as the oolite.app folder.)
But when I load the game, the game still uses the original keyboard configuration. Fair enough, I think, maybe I somehow need to tell the game to use the file in AddOns instead...not sure how to do that.
For the sake of experimentation, I then tried what you're not supposed to do, I edited the original keyconfig.plist directly. But there was still no change to the in-game keyboard configuration.
I'm sure I'm missing something very basic here, but all the posts about keyboard configuration I can find seem to take it for granted that keyconfig.plist is where it's at.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Editing keyconfig.plist

Post by Cody »

perplexed_user wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:33 pm
I'm sure I'm missing something very basic here
Just in case it's really basic: after tweaking, have you tried restarting the game holding Shift down?

And welcome aboard, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Welcome aboard, Commander!

First, I’m assuming you’re using version 1.90 of Oolite. If you’re running Oolite 1.91, then the keyconfig.plist file has been replaced by keyconfig2.plist, and there’s no need to edit it directly because you can do all your configuration in the game itself.

It’s also worth checking your latest.log file for any errors. If the game can’t read the keyconfig file it will internally default to the same settings.
perplexed_user
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by perplexed_user »

Thanks! That was the issue, it was reverting to default because of an error in my code.