Help needed with an account

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mspara

Help needed with an account

Post by mspara »

Now that was hard :? I seem to have locked myself out of my old account (spara) and the email I used to register it like 10 years ago is no more. So what do I do? I try to send a message through "Contact us" -web form and no idea if it actually does anything :D. So on to the next solution, a new account. AAAnd my current personal email is not accepted, since it's hotmail :roll: . Must be a spam protection or something. No problem, let me try with my secondary email, which is gmail. That seems to work, but no, there is another problem. "Solution is not accepted" or something. Maybe it's my browser with all these fancy online shields and something, so I'll switch to naked Edge. The same problem. Maybe, if I'll add a non-letter, non-numerical symbol to my password, and presto, I have a new account :mrgreen: . Now could someone please somehow help me restore my old account, please. Who knows, maybe I'll find some time + inspiration and try the game and maybe some OXPing again.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Help needed with an account

Post by hiran »

Sounds great!

But how can we know mspara is the same person as spara? Potentially it could be anyone claiming to be spara...
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
mspara

Post by mspara »

Now that is a good question, hiran :? All there was was ~100 old private messages, which don't really have much more than sentimental value anymore. Then again, I can still access oolite wiki and have added a line for you at the bottom of my profile page.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:19 pm
But how can we know mspara is the same person as spara? Potentially it could be anyone claiming to be spara...
It's Spara - he posted on his wiki user: page (which also needs a password)...

What ho, old boy! Welcome Back!!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Hello spara!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
mspara

Post by mspara »

Hello there Cody. Let's see if hiran can help me out here 8) and I'll get my old account back.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Should be straightforward - but should is a funny word!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

mspara wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:41 pm
Now that is a good question, hiran :? All there was was ~100 old private messages, which don't really have much more than sentimental value anymore. Then again, I can still access oolite wiki and have added a line for you at the bottom of my profile page.
The real Spara was a maths teacher, or something. Say something in Mathematics.
"Would somebody stop that bloody music!"
MrFlibble
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by MrFlibble »

Wildeblood wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:59 am
mspara wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:41 pm
The real Spara was a maths teacher, or something. Say something in Mathematics.
It's rude to talk with Pi in your mouth!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

You're a wizard hiran! Thank you so much.

Wildeblood, you remember correctly, I still am a math teacher. Only upper secondary though, so not very high level. I'll think of something clever to say in mathematics, when I have just a bit more time.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Grabbed the latest pre-release dev version for Linux and was greeted with a crash. Ah, libgnustep-base must be downgraded to 1.28. Basic Linux stuff, downgraded the lib and the game starts with an empty expansion list. I've been following the conversation and know about the problems with the old address and the new address for the list file. Somehow I thought that the default address would be changed in the latest pre-release, but anyways, head to the forum and onwards to wiki. Oh, the instructions seem to be for Apple. No problem, I know my way around. It's been a while since I've been tweaking these files, but after reading the readme I find the preferences file and luckily it's still editable. Wiki says something about a binary form, but luckily that does not seem to concern my install on Debian Linux. Now, what to type into the file, since wiki only gives a command to type in the console? How was it, it's a property list, so <key>s and values. But what type is it? Of course, <string> should do it. And yes, I have a working expansion list. Oh yeah. Now to the most difficult task before playing, what expansions to install :D
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

spara wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:42 am
I thought that the default address would be changed in the latest pre-release, but anyways,
Well, it is. Straight from the OXZ Manager code:

Code: Select all

/* The URL for the manifest.plist array. */
/* switching (temporarily maybe) to oolite.space - Nikos 20230507 */
/*static NSString * const kOOOXZDataURL = @"http://addons.oolite.org/api/1.0/overview";*/
static NSString * const kOOOXZDataURL = @"http://addons.oolite.space/api/1.0/overview";
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

If you share what you did in detail we can improve that confluence page.

Other than that have a look at OoliteStarter. It has predefined sets of expansions we call flavors.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Interesting. Maybe it's the Linux port? I checked it again. I removed the downloaded expansion list file, started the game, went to the "Download expansion list" and "Install expansion pack" is again empty.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

spara wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:00 am
Interesting. Maybe it's the Linux port? I checked it again. I removed the downloaded expansion list file, started the game, went to the "Download expansion list" and "Install expansion pack" is again empty.
Assuming it downloads from the right URL it should find this which clearly is not empty right now:
https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... index.html