Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enable Oolite development (2)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Enable Oolite development (2)

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:39 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:47 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:11 pm
Will you be adding any of this collateral information to the Oolite Starter GUI for the saved games?
I thought this has happened already. Unless the savegames cannot be read by XML parsers.
Sorry! I failed to open 0.1.6 - and when I tried again earlier with 0.1.3 I failed again! We dumb pilots.... :?
I acknowledge that usability to non developers is low and thus whatever I implemented is of little value. My next modifications will focus on that.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:57 am
Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:39 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:47 pm

I thought this has happened already. Unless the savegames cannot be read by XML parsers.
Sorry! I failed to open 0.1.6 - and when I tried again earlier with 0.1.3 I failed again! We dumb pilots.... :?
I acknowledge that usability to non developers is low and thus whatever I implemented is of little value. My next modifications will focus on that.
Stop being so modest! You are improving things!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

A lot of programming I've done in Oolite has started out as tiny half-measures, with what little I understood how to change.
Even as I got better, the results I wanted always seemed far away...so it's easy to think I didn't accomplish much.
I needed a LOT of breakthrough accomplishments made by others to do what I have.
Even stuff that seems "why didn't I think of that sooner?" in hindsight wasn't easy.

hiran, you've done a lot already.
A good clue of that is when I take a long time just trying to follow all that's been done...and am generally afraid to reply because of it.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Thank you for the credit.
Still I'd like to make tools that are easily accessible.

I spent some time thinking about python but java seems more advanced as it includes gui and packaging across platforms that I do not yet see elsewhere.

Cholmondely, we should investigate how exactly you failed to run the starter.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm

I spent some time thinking about python but java seems more advanced as it includes gui and packaging across platforms that I do not yet see elsewhere.

Heh! This dumb pilots fails running anything - except away from the pirates! Image
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:44 pm
hiran wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:36 pm

Heh! This dumb pilots fails running anything - except away from the pirates! Image
There are many ways to - um. Mind my signature....
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Righty-ho!

Wiki page is now up: Oolite Starter

I even added the start instructions for Linux and Windows! Despite not knowing anything about them!! :mrgreen:

You might wish to check it over.

Start Game GUI:

Note that the Jamesons in the SOTL ooniverses get all the relevant SOTL information (system names, etc)

Note further that if you have more than 300 Jamesons in your saves folder, you will give poor old Oolite Starter a major attack of pandation of the cranium.

Expansions GUI:

This may eventually marry a selection of expansions/oxz's/oxp's with manifest.plists to each start game/Jameson

The list includes every bally oxz - whether you downloaded it or not!

Edited to clarify misunderstanding about state of marriage between Jamesons and Expansions.
Last edited by Cholmondely on Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

It's all looking so great. As soon as we've got separated deactivated addon folders I'm going to do a video about this project, going over how to use it and showing the results in the game (i.e., in the expansion manager).
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:57 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:40 pm
Just downloaded the latest. When I clicked on the .dmg I got this:
"OoliteStarter" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image.

This item is on the disk image “OoliteStarter-1.0.dmg”. Waterfox downloaded this disk image today at 17:37 from github.com.

When I clicked on the ? icon I got this:
The app has been modified or damaged

The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript or JavaScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless you override the security settings on your Mac. See Open an app by overriding security settings.

To learn how to protect your Mac from harmful software, see Protect your Mac from malware.

See also
Change Security & Privacy General preferences on Mac
Console gave me this under the "System Log" heading:
Jun 6 18:43:37 ....-MacBook-Air com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000002c.OoliteStarter[28313]): removing service since it exited with consistent failure - OS_REASON_EXEC | Gatekeeper policy blocked execution
I also tried launching it with the control key held down (needed to open alien programmes) with identical results.
That is unusable. A serious issue.
Yet it sounds to me as if something small is missing. Such as a digital signature. We will have to fiddle around together.
So I found something we can try: Options for Signing macOS Application Package.

But I may need advice from some Mac expert regarding

Code: Select all

-mac-signing-key-user-name user_or_team_name: The key user or team name, which is the name portion in Apple signing identities' names.
I do not intend to place the code into the Mac App Store. But where would the Apple signing identity come from?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:12 pm
hiran wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:00 pm
Interesting. What is special about these OXPs?
So far I could only make out they are not on the Expansion Manager.
Yeah they are all exactly the versions found on the wiki; I didn't change anything. And the Contextual Jukebox is mine, and I barely know what I'm doing, so I'm surprised it shows up when the others don't.

For example I downloaded Furball from here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Furball_OXP
Is it possible the OXPs in question do not have a manifest.plist file?

Maybe I focused on OXZ which always have this file, according to https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP_howto#Structure
Last edited by hiran on Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Code signing certificates are not provided for free. The keys you are looking for are most likely handed out after the vetting process by the Certification Authority (Apple in this case, I guess) has been completed. This process is always charged as far as I am aware and requires proof of identity , i.e. legal documents demonstrating that you are who you claim to be. Are you willing to go through such a process to obtain a code signing certificate?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:26 am
Code signing certificates are not provided for free. The keys you are looking for are most likely handed out after the vetting process by the Certification Authority (Apple in this case, I guess) has been completed. This process is always charged as far as I am aware and requires proof of identity , i.e. legal documents demonstrating that you are who you claim to be. Are you willing to go through such a process to obtain a code signing certificate?
Thank you for that answer. It does not suprise me that Apple is acting as certificate authority.
I'd like to not go through such a process if I can help it. Would even consider not providing a DMG download.

But AFAIK Oolite is distributed as DMG for the Apple Mac. How does that work? Is that build getting signed?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

hiran wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:56 am
But AFAIK Oolite is distributed as DMG for the Apple Mac. How does that work? Is that build getting signed?
As far as I can tell, no, it is not signed. Requiring code signatures for every app out there would seem rather draconian to me, even for Apple. Maybe it is only some app types (Java apps included probably) that require signing? Can't be sure without looking into Apple's app distribution guidelines in more detail.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I've just added in a wiki page on the Terminal Utility which will also need checking over
Comments wanted:
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

another_commander wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:16 am
hiran wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:56 am
As far as I can tell, no, it is not signed. Requiring code signatures for every app out there would seem rather draconian to me, even for Apple. Maybe it is only some app types (Java apps included probably) that require signing? Can't be sure without looking into Apple's app distribution guidelines in more detail.
You can distribute unsigned apps on MacOS as downloads, not via AppStore. Users will be notified that the app is not signed and that there is risk running it the first time they start it, but can start it nonetheless. It is possible to lock MacOS down to only allow signed applications, but this is not the default.