Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

NeoPlatonism: The One and the Many

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

NeoPlatonism: The One and the Many

Post by Cholmondely »

Does anybody know anything about this?

I'm trying to make sense of these 1,000-year old arguments (about the unity of God):
THE FIFTH ARGUMENT

The fifth argument, from the concepts of plurality and unity as follows.
In his Geometry (Book 5), Euclid defined unity as: "Unity is that property through which we say of any thing that is one". This means that by nature, unity precedes the individual thing, just as we say that heat precedes a hot object. If there were no "unity", we could not say of anything that it is one.

The idea which we need to form in our mind of unity is of oneness that is complete, a uniqueness, that is absolutely devoid of composition or resemblance. Free, in every respect of plurality or number, that is neither associated with anything nor dissociated from anything.

The idea of plurality is that of a sum of unities. Plurality therefore cannot precede unity of which it has been formed. If we conceive something plural with our intellect or perceive it through our senses, we will know with certainty that unity preceded it, just like when counting things, the number one precedes the rest of the numbers. Whoever thinks the Creator is more than one, must therefore nevertheless concede that there was a preceding unity, just as the numeral one precedes the other numbers, and just like the notion of unity precedes that of plurality.

THE SIXTH ARGUMENT

The sixth argument, from the incidental properties that attach to everything that is plural. Plurality is an incidental property ascribed to the essence, and comes under the category of quantity. Since He is the Creator of essence and incident, none of these attributes can be ascribed to His Being. For, it having been clearly demonstrated through scripture and reason that the Creator is above and beyond all comparison with, and similarity to, any of His creations, and seeing that plurality which adheres to the essence of anything that is plural is an incidental property - this property cannot be fittingly ascribed to the Creator's glorious Essence. And if He cannot be described as plural, He must certainly be One because there is nothing in between the two possibilities.

They seem to be based on neo-Platonic understandings about the relationship between the one and the many, but are not based on the Enneads of Plotinus

From al-Hidaya ila Fara'id al-Qulub c. 1080CE (while people still thought that both Plato & Aristotle were neo-Platonist in thinking).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: NeoPlatonism: The One and the Many

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 pm
oes anybody know anything about this?
Not I.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 pm
I'm trying to make sense of
However (very, very crudely)...

THE FIFTH ARGUMENT

A creator can not be derivative without having been created.
To create everything requites a source from which to derive everything.
Therefore one god (as the creator deity without precedent) is the unique unity of all things.

THE SIXTH ARGUMENT

In order to create something requires more than simply being that thing (at least if also 'above and beyond any of them').
Being various requires being multiple which in turn requires being an effect.
If not an effect then the creator cannot be plural, the only alternative being one.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: NeoPlatonism: The One and the Many

Post by Cody »

<scratches head - resists the urge for flippancy> Oh, the hell with it - e pluribus nemo!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!