Deep Space Dredger

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Deep Space Dredger

Post by ArkanoiD »

are they Gal7 only? How do i find one? Been there for a while, visited both TL 15 planets, found nothing..
Davemak
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Davemak »

I'm in Gal 5 and it showed up on thw run in system. I was expecting them around the witchpoint beacon but it was quite close to the station. Think it was also a T15 planet.
Nuke 'em 'til they glow; then shoot 'em in the dark!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Found one in Gal 1!
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

I have found them to be very common. I am currently in Galaxy 2. I have even found two of them in one system.

However, I haven't yet been able to successfully dock with one (I've tried 3 or 4 times). Am I just lame, or is anyone else having trouble with this? One time in particular, I thought I was lined up about as perfectly as I could expect, and I went in slowly, but I still crashed!

I've practically never had trouble docking with stations at all, but these things? Ouch.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
Davemak
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Davemak »

No problem at all - just like a giant manta ray. Straight in.
Now leviathans - totally different ball game!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

OK, my first screengrab failed to capture for some reason. Still, this does sort of show things.

What I want to know is - How the flip did this fit through the door??? I saw it a split second after it appeared on my scanner and I turned to look, it had just launched.

Is it possible to program the OXP so that it cannot ever launch or dock with stations? Just doesn't seem right...

Anyway, it then started to manouver... And BOOOOM!!!! It collided with the station! Wasn't me!

The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Davemak wrote:
So, what do you think I might be doing wrong? Am I the only one having trouble docking with dredgers? I haven't really tried it again after my first few attempts. Maybe I just need to practice it more?
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

CWolf wrote:
Is it possible to program the OXP so that it cannot ever launch or dock with stations? Just doesn't seem right...
Yeah, don't give it a role that a station could use to select a ship to launch (ie. don't use trader).

You also need to correct the name of the shipdata file in your OXP to shipdata.plist (not shipdata.pList) because many operating systems on which Oolite is played are case-sensitive.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

aegidian wrote:
CWolf wrote:
Yeah, don't give it a role that a station could use to select a ship to launch (ie. don't use trader).

You also need to correct the name of the shipdata file in your OXP to shipdata.plist (not shipdata.pList) because many operating systems on which Oolite is played are case-sensitive.
Ah, that's why i did never see a Dredger!
Davemak
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Davemak »

Commodore Sics D'fore wrote:
Davemak wrote:
So, what do you think I might be doing wrong? Am I the only one having trouble docking with dredgers? I haven't really tried it again after my first few attempts. Maybe I just need to practice it more?
Are you in a different ship other than a MkIII? I got a python CC and its on a vertical axis rather than the horizontal axis of the cobra - kept blowing up when docking until I figured that out. Still a lot less room for maneouvre now.

The leviathans keep moving so a real pain to dock with - but the dredger was pretty easy. Only docked 2x though so may have been luck :-)

Good luck with it Sics
sabre
Above Average
Above Average

Post by sabre »

This was my first go at an OXP and there have been a few minor problems. I have only tested docking with a Cobra MkIII as that my preferred ship. The dregders prehaps a little too common. Should they be limited to Gal 7??
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

sabre wrote:
This was my first go at an OXP and there have been a few minor problems. I have only tested docking with a Cobra MkIII as that my preferred ship. The dregders prehaps a little too common. Should they be limited to Gal 7??
I think yes and it should be really huge according to description..
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Seen a Dredger - it is surprisignly small compared to most carrier ships..
sabre
Above Average
Above Average

Working on bigger version

Post by sabre »

Yes point taken. I'm working on a larger version based on the same sort of shape but with more turrets. Speaking of turrets does anyone have any simple tips on getting them pointing the correct direction??
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Davemak wrote:
Commodore Sics D'fore wrote:
Davemak wrote:

Weird. I docked with a leviathan just fine. Maybe the trick is getting to the ship (whether a dredger or leviathan) when they are not moving. Every time I approached a dredger it seemed to be moving, but the leviathan I found barely was at all at the time.

BTW, I am still flying a Cobra MK III.