Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Lost Addons

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DavidG
Above Average
Above Average

Lost Addons

Post by DavidG »

Returning after 4 years off, and either I'm being monumentally dumb or something has changed! So I've downloaded various addons via the Built in manager, and I want to tweak one of the shipdata.plist files. However, I can't find any! My addons folder is empty... The only shipdata file is the original, which doesn't contain the oxp ships...

Help!

Thanks
Dave
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Lost Addons

Post by another_commander »

In the Expansion Pack Manager, go to List Installed OXPs. Then navigate to the one you are interested in and press "x" to extract it to AddOns.

The extracted OXP will be copied over to AddOns with the .off extension. Change that manually to .oxp and it will be activated. You can now edit it as usual. Keep in mind though that the Expansion Pack Manager will be no longer handling it. Extracting an oxz to AddOns means that you take responsibility for its updates etc. Delete it from AddOns and the Expansion Manager will start tracking it again.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

FYI - managed addons are stored here: ~:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns (on Windows).
Tweaking one is not quite as simple as before, but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly straightforward.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Tweaking is recommended only once you extract the expansions to the AddOns folder. The reason for storing managed expansions so deep inside the folder structure is that they are meant to be managed by the game, not tweaked directly by users. Tweaking directly inside the managed expansions folder should be reserved only for experienced players who know exactly what they are doing.
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:09 pm
Tweaking directly inside the managed expansions folder should be reserved only to experienced players who know exactly what they are doing.
<chortles> You don't say! Once in your AddOns folder, if you leave it there for further tweaking, be sure to remove it from the manager.

I think I've got that right... yes?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DavidG
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DavidG »

thanks for this! would have taken a bit of finding! Having tweaked my OXP (Scoop Cam needed...) it doesn't seem to be loading the tweaked one. And yes, Shift held down until spinning Mk3! Do I need to uninstall it from the Managed Addons, so the only version is the tweaked one?
DavidG
Above Average
Above Average

Post by DavidG »

scrap that, sorted! Moral of story, don't rush!