Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Changing Oolite...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Changing Oolite...

Post by hiran »

How do changes to Oolite actually get processed?

Does one have to open a thread to discuss it? Does one raise a pull request against the source repository?
I found a small glitch on the Oolite.desktop file for Unix UIs and want to feed a fix for it.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
tsoj
Deadly
Deadly

Re: Changing Oolite...

Post by tsoj »

I think for smaller things or fixes like this, you can just do a pull request or open an issue here. There, you can then discuss the proposed changes. You probably need to change one of these two files (though I am not 100% sure):
installers/FreeDesktop/oolite.desktop
installers/posix/setup.body
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

tsoj wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:48 pm
I think for smaller things or fixes like this, you can just do a pull request or open an issue here. There, you can then discuss the proposed changes. You probably need to change one of these two files (though I am not 100% sure):
installers/FreeDesktop/oolite.desktop
installers/posix/setup.body
Has happened: https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite/pull/396
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

hiran's PR needs someone with Linux access to verify that it works, preferably across multiple distros. I guess this is why it has not been merged yet.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Didn't Getafix have something like ten distros on his machine?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:34 pm
hiran's PR needs someone with Linux access to verify that it works, preferably across multiple distros. I guess this is why it has not been merged yet.
I created it on Ubuntu 20 LTS, and meanwhile tsoj confirmed it would also improve Manjaro Gnome. that already are two environments, but both based on Gnome.

BTW, the change I performed is based on https://specifications.freedesktop.org/ ... 01s06.html - that means any freedesktop.org compliant environment should understand it the same way.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

If this is confirmed as working on at least two distros I could approve it, but you will have to keep monitoring the pull request or the issues section on github for any potential bugs that may be reported as a result of its merging - those will be normally yours to handle. I am away from my PC for the moment though, so I will do the merge once I am back.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:12 pm
If this is confirmed as working on at least two distros I could approve it, but you will have to keep monitoring the pull request or the issues section on github for any potential bugs that may be reported as a result of its merging - those will be normally yours to handle. I am away from my PC for the moment though, so I will do the merge once I am back.
I'll have a peek on this anyway. As soon as this change goes to release builds I will be impacted as well and can remove my workaround in installation scripts. :-)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:12 pm
I am away from my PC for the moment though, so I will do the merge once I am back.
Thank you for merging. I noticed this a few days ago. Now I am wondering about the release build.
What I understood is the next release will be 1.92, and it will not only have my changes. So far so good.

But then I am looking at Oolite/nightlies, and it seems we are looking at nightly builds performed somewhere in the polar region where one day/one night takes half a year each?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

hiran wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:00 pm
But then I am looking at Oolite/nightlies, and it seems we are looking at nightly builds performed somewhere in the polar region where one day/one night takes half a year each?
The server generating the nightly builds is not running anymore. As a result, nightly builds are no longer generated.
Cody

Post by Cody »

... and it seems we are looking at nightly builds performed somewhere in the polar region where one day/one night takes half a year each?
Once upon a time, when development was in full-swing, they were literally nightly!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:06 pm
The server generating the nightly builds is not running anymore. As a result, nightly builds are no longer generated.
...and then there is a poor chap having to stay up every other night so a build gets done.

Could Github Actions help? Although I have no clue whether they would be free to use for an FOSS project like Oolite.
Ha! They mention the 'pay as you go pricing' and state for public repositories it is free. And Oolite is public! :-)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Github Actions would probably be the best (and probably also the only) bet. At least Linux nightlies should be possible with it, but someone will have to set up all the necessary scripts.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm
Github Actions would probably be the best (and probably also the only) bet. At least Linux nightlies should be possible with it, but someone will have to set up all the necessary scripts.
I could setup such scripts but will definitely need support from people familar with the builds.
IIRC, phkb mastered a linux build recently. Also Commander X had a home built version.
That still leaves MacOS and Windows in the dark.

But it would be a start, better than nothing.

Seems like I finally arrived at https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=275467#p275467
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm
So here is a pull request with Github Actions that trigger on the three operating systems. You can see them in action here.

I need help to refine them so they can actually perform successful builds.