Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Draining Energy Banks

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Draining Energy Banks

Post by Commander Mick »

Not sure if I'm putting this query in the right place, but I will ask here anyway......

I've just recently installed a load of OXP's after going through the entire list of them using the OXP Manager in the game menu itself. So, I may be able to deduce which of my OXP's is doing this exactly. but I firs noticed that using the Torus drive now drains my energy banks to stop me from doing this indefinitely. Sure, I think I may have read about that one somewhere but may need a little help refreshing my memory.

Now, i notice that the energy banks are now draining of their own accord regardless of whether I use the Torus drive or not and my ship just exploded.

Was using the harder Cobra Mark Three BTW.
Right on Commander!!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Draining Energy Banks

Post by Cholmondely »

Commander Mick wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:51 pm
Not sure if I'm putting this query in the right place, but I will ask here anyway......

I've just recently installed a load of OXP's after going through the entire list of them using the OXP Manager in the game menu itself. So, I may be able to deduce which of my OXP's is doing this exactly. but I firs noticed that using the Torus drive now drains my energy banks to stop me from doing this indefinitely. Sure, I think I may have read about that one somewhere but may need a little help refreshing my memory.

Now, i notice that the energy banks are now draining of their own accord regardless of whether I use the Torus drive or not and my ship just exploded.

Was using the harder Cobra Mark Three BTW.
Umm... Hard Way (Strangers World suite) Torus drive travel drains Shields, which then drain energy banks to recharge (only noticeable for me when I've bought Energy Grid to accelerate the recharge). Would that be it? (ie Hard Way & Energy Grid OXPs installed).

But this does not stop you using Torus Drive indefinitely. Hard Way does that instead by causing all energy use to eat into your quirium fuel reserves, so when you run out of fuel your ship "explodes". Torus drive eats more energy than the regular engine drive does.

I play with Hard Way. I use pretty much the entire Strangers World suite and also load up on the full set of 4 Fuel Tank oxp's. You need them to survive with Hard Way, but it is so much more realistic. I tend to buy Ramirez's & Smiv's rather than Stranger's & Timer's.

With this set up I hardly ever jump from Isinor to Ensoreus - it is asking for trouble. So I go via Bemeara and refuel there. Once I got attacked by pirates on the way back to Isinor. I decided to refuel at the sun, instead. Evaded the pirates but it was a low-flux day, so I had to get closer to the sun to pick up the flux. Flew closer and closer and closer... still not enough flux. And of course, escaping the pirates had clobbered my fuel reserves. I kept on flying towards the sun, used up to much fuel to do anything else (such as go for the orbital or jump elsewhere) and ended up imploding when I ran out of fuel...

References:
Hard Way: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hard_Way
Strangers World: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Stranger
Energy Grid: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/NavalGrid_OXP
Solar Wind Flux: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Solar_Wind_Flux
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Commander Mick
Competent
Competent

Re: Draining Energy Banks

Post by Commander Mick »

I tried to buy fuel before launching my ship from Lave. You see, I also had the OXP that makes Q-fuel a commodity. Not sure that it would work the way I thought it would when I tried to buy back Q-fuel like this, but I couldn't buy any Q-fuel as commodity anyway.

Thanx for your help. I will look into the list of installed OXP's that I have been using.
Right on Commander!!