Relative sizes of space ships both fictional and real for comparison

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Relative sizes of space ships both fictional and real for comparison

Post by spud42 »

whats your guess at the biggest and the smallest ship in this youtube video??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPwbVqU6lc
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Relative sizes of space ships both fictional and real for comparison

Post by hiran »

spud42 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:43 am
whats your guess at the biggest and the smallest ship in this youtube video??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTPwbVqU6lc
I think I'd like to see the planetary landing on some of the bigger ships...
It is quite impressive how many of those space ships show some shape close to some plane, rocket or other atmospherical vehicle.
And then there are some built so bizarre I wonder whether they'd ever sustain a maneuver.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

hiran wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 pm
It is quite impressive how many of those space ships show some shape close to some plane, rocket or other atmospherical vehicle.
Even though they typically don't fly in an atmosphere, I think it's evocative of speed when you have wedge shaped or otherwise 'aerodynamic' forms. That said, one of my favourites is the TIE fighter design which (without doing the maths) I'd imagine would perform terribly in an atmosphere comparable to Earth's. Looks cool though... and it's hard to top looking cool 8)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Redspear wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm
Even though they typically don't fly in an atmosphere, I think it's evocative of speed when you have wedge shaped or otherwise 'aerodynamic' forms. That said, one of my favourites is the TIE fighter design which (without doing the maths) I'd imagine would perform terribly in an atmosphere comparable to Earth's. Looks cool though... and it's hard to top looking cool 8)
There is a point to it that I cannot follow. :-)

Looking at surface that is exposed to the subarctic temperatures of space, all letter-kinds-of rays or particles of whatever size I'd try to trim surface vs volume. For a given surface maximise volume, or for a given volume minimize surface. This way the Borg had done a quite well job to come up just with a cube. And the next candidate is probably just a sphere.
Commander_X
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander_X »

Each time I see these types of presentations, I'm mind-connecting to this example (word of caution: it is a WebGL example for threejs library best viewed with GPU hardware support in the browser).
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On the moon Thought, orbiting the planet Ignorance.

Post by Redspear »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:13 pm
There is a point to it that I cannot follow. :-)
You're not missing much :)
Only that looks are important in a game to a greater degree than they are in real life - no need to worry about physics when you can make the rules yourself.

Looking at surface that is exposed to the subarctic temperatures of space, all letter-kinds-of rays or particles of whatever size I'd try to trim surface vs volume. For a given surface maximise volume, or for a given volume minimize surface. This way the Borg had done a quite well job to come up just with a cube. And the next candidate is probably just a sphere.
It's easy to forget that the design of a vehicle is matched not only to its environment but also to its pilot.
Besides, who understands 'hyperspace' as a medium to travel through? Not me...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Space is very very cold, but it's also a vacuum, and an excellent insulator. Overheating is as much a problem in space as staying warm; the only way you can lose heat is by radiation, so having two big radiator panels for your twin ion engines might not be such a bad idea.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Disembodied wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:07 pm
Space is very very cold, but it's also a vacuum, and an excellent insulator. Overheating is as much a problem in space as staying warm; the only way you can lose heat is by radiation, so having two big radiator panels for your twin ion engines might not be such a bad idea.
Good point. But radiators are not always needed, so I'd like to have retractable radiators. Maybe as well as retractable scoops that can munch too large a debris into scoopable units (sounds like a mouth with teeth). All in all my ship would now look like a globefish with rockets instead of fins.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

If you've ever come across the web comic Freefall they're actually pretty good at getting that sort of thing right - the ship in that has big retractable radiators that are only seen when it's in space and the reactor is running.

http://freefall.purrsia.com/default.htm