Can't download Kestrel / Falcon OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Can't download Kestrel / Falcon OXP

Post by ffutures »

I can't seem to download the Kestrel / Falcon OXP from Box.net - nothing happens when I hit the download button. Anyone know if there's anything wrong there?

https://www.box.net/s/65rpyp401p
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Can't download Kestrel / Falcon OXP

Post by Cholmondely »

One presumes that if you sign over all your worldly chattels (and several bodily parts) to Box, that they will then allow you access. If it was a page with another 248 oxps, my dastardly wheeze might allow you to download them all in a 365GB package, but alas, that seems not to be the case here.

Mayhap one of the veterans has a jollier wheeze!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I had a copy lying around. Here's a link: kestrel_falcon1_71_0.zip
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Thanks!
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Now I just need to find a shipyard that's selling Falcons. Lots of Kestrels on offer, but so far not a Falcon to be seen. Any restrictions on where they're sold?

Later - never mind, needless to say there was one at the next station!

That's a fun ship - some lovely graphics, REALLY fast and very maneuverable, tempted to switch to smuggling as a career! But since you apparently can't fit the naval power supply or shields that may not be the best idea ever...

Only snag is that the pilot I started out with had a run of bad luck with cargo in the previous ship and I'm now having a lot of trouble getting a good rep as a cargo contractor, so that I can get the good contracts for precious metals etc. There's "only" 105 tons of cargo space left once I fitted a couple of passenger berths, and I keep getting offered contracts that nearly fill it, so I can only take one at a time.

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Falcon and Kestrel are on my "to do" list, expect them to be available earlier or later on the expansion manager and while doing so include some updates. A lot of Box links are not available anymore and some of this OXP's couldn't be found anywhere else. :roll:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Excellent - I quite like the Falcon as a ship, if only to play at being Han Solo.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

ffutures wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:24 pm
Excellent - I quite like the Falcon as a ship, if only to play at being Han Solo.
Kestrel & Falcon uploaded to the expansion manger, links and further details could be found at Kestrel & Falcon wiki

Well, my first ship here I named "FALCON", means something I guess. :lol:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Sorry - I could have sworn I replied to this. Many thanks! Since I've installed the OXP manually, what's the procedure for switching over to the managed version, which I'd imagine is more likely to be updated? Just delete the oxp then reinstall it from the expansion manager? Will the saved games be OK?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

ffutures wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:56 pm
Sorry - I could have sworn I replied to this. Many thanks! Since I've installed the OXP manually, what's the procedure for switching over to the managed version, which I'd imagine is more likely to be updated? Just delete the oxp then reinstall it from the expansion manager? Will the saved games be OK?
Congratulations on joining the wiki editorial team! More power to your elbow!

Would there be any chance of your writing a couple of short wiki pieces on Traveller and on Selezen's RPG for Elite?

Cholmondeley
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

I can possibly do something on Traveller, but I never really got into the Elite Dangerous RPG (I assume that's what you're talking about), and it's a bit on the expensive side for me at the moment.

I can't actually find any references to Traveller anywhere on the Wiki, so I presume I'd also have to edit e.g. the page for Classic Elite to mention it as a possible source.

Given that Traveller is a huge game with tons of support material etc. might it not be easier to link to the Wikipedia entry for this?
Last edited by ffutures on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

ffutures wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:30 pm
I can possibly do something on Traveller, but I never really got into the Elite Dangerous RPG (I assume that's what you're talking about), and it's a bit on the expensive side for me at the moment.
No, not at all. Didn't Selezen write one based on Elite Classic?
Comments wanted:
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:33 pm
News to me. Can you point me at it?

I took a look at their web site and the only Elite RPG mentioned is Elite Encounters, the Elite Dangerous RPG.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Sorry - I'd not realised - it's not an RPG.
Here: https://daftworks.co.uk/blog/games/simp ... n-run.html
And he has another one which might be relevant: https://daftworks.co.uk/blog/games/simp ... -belt.html

And I was a bit too hasty in dismissing E:D. But there is no way I would expect you to buy it just to review it.
Comments wanted:
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ffutures »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:42 pm
Sorry - I'd not realised - it's not an RPG.
Here: https://daftworks.co.uk/blog/games/simp ... n-run.html
And he has another one which might be relevant: https://daftworks.co.uk/blog/games/simp ... -belt.html

And I was a bit too hasty in dismissing E:D. But there is no way I would expect you to buy it just to review it.
Unfortunately you appear to have to register to download files from that site and it's asking for payment details even though they're free downloads - I'll pass, thanks.

Re the Elite Dangerous RPG, it starts out at £20 for a PDF of the rules and a lot more if you buy supplements and adventures etc., which is why I'm not incredibly keen - I'm really not buying RPGs at all at the moment for that reason. Having said that, I occasionally get stuff to review and it's possible this will come my way at some point, if it does I'll certainly write it up for the wiki.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/23 ... term=elite+