Comms - calls for help, etc.

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Comms - calls for help, etc.

Post by CWolf »

Done a search, couldn't see anything like this...

Had an idea for times of need:

Out of fuel (missjump or attacked) - have a distress beacon you can activate, maybe a tug would come and rescue you or another ship would share fuel at a price.

Pirates too good - Have some way of calling for help. NPC's do it all the time, I bailed out an Anaconda last night as they were calling for help, loads of pirates. This could be a double edged sword as it could attract some pirates. Clever bounty hunters could cry wolf to snare people too.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

This has come up before CWolf but, as far as I can remember, not in its own topic. Personally I'm in favour of it but it hasn't generated much interest, mind you Giles does seem to have a lot to do! :wink:

Oh, BTW, welcome to the board! :)
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Thanks for the welcome, I am enjoying this board a lot.

As for Giles having a lot of work to do I am already in total awe of him.

After all, he has produced a peice of work of extreme high quality and foresight (OXPs). Oolite is proof that you do not need a huge team and lots of money to write something that plays well and looks good, you just need to involve the most inportant people, the end players!

Something some of the big studios should bear in mind sometimes.
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Just to update my last post, I had a look at Giles' to do list last night and ship to ship comms is on it. 8) :D
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Oh aye! So it is! Doh!!! That's me being a n00b and not checking! :oops:

aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Just an FYI. Ship->ship comms will mostly be for scripting encounters giving you the option of a range of responses to other ship's hails and (possibly) making certain hails yourself.

For assistance in times of need - Gal-cops and Bounty Hunters begin considering a response the instant lasers begin to strike your hull - they look out for that kind of thing!
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Ah fair enough, sounds good. It might be worth having an option to set how long a comm message stays on screen then, at the moment they appear and vanish before they can be read sometimes. Maybe make it so Q&A ones stay until you reply...