Thargpoid's Target Autolock Plus - packaging error?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargpoid's Target Autolock Plus - packaging error?

Post by RockDoctor »

It looks as if Thargoid has updated TAP from v1.12 to v1.14, but seems to be a packaging error :
19:17:43.101 [version.debug]: oolite.oxp.Thargoid.TAP mv:1.12 mav:1.14
19:17:43.379 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded OXZ does not contain a manifest.plist, has been left in ...
Is there a Thargoid in the room?
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Thargpoid's Target Autolock Plus - packaging error?

Post by Cody »

RockDoctor wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:34 pm
Is there a Thargoid in the room?
Is there? Where's my gun? Who took my gun?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

dybal has taken over the maintenance of this OXZ. He is currently on hiatus from the boards but will hopefully return. If memory serves there was an update that had a manifest.plist problem but it was corrected. The correction most likely occurred after the current backup wiki month of September so only the previous "bad" version and not the corrected version would be available at the moment. What follows is the entire code from a working version of that manifest.plist. You might only need to change the version number but the file is small so posting all of the code here should not be a problem.

Code: Select all

{
    identifier = "oolite.oxp.Thargoid.TAP";
    required_oolite_version = "1.79";
    title = "Target Autolock Plus";
    version = "1.14";
    author = "Thargoid";
    category = "Equipment";
    description = "A software update for the standard scanner targeting enhancement equipment that automatically locks onto attacking ships if you have no prior target selected.";
    information_url = "http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Target_Autolock_OXP";
    license = "CC BY-NC-SA 3.0";
    tags = ( "equipment", "weapons" );
}
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Nite Owl wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:32 pm
dybal has taken over the maintenance of this OXZ. He is currently on hiatus from the boards but will hopefully return.
I wouldn't count on that, he didn't reply to any message (including Christmas & New Year wishes) for a month now. My personal guess would be that only a_c could convince him to come back (if he is interested in Dybal joining the team again). :roll:
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

montana05 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm
dybal has taken over the maintenance of this OXZ. He is currently on hiatus from the boards but will hopefully return.
I wouldn't count on that, he didn't reply to any message (including Christmas & New Year wishes) for a month now. My personal guess would be that only a_c could convince him to come back (if he is interested in Dybal joining the team again). :roll:
That would be a shame but such is the way of the interwebs. Fully understand "Real Life" and "Burnout" and all that they can entail but for an early onset of such things after a little less than a year is a bit unusual. Ah well... he took on a lot very quickly so maybe moderation is the key lesson to be learned here. Spent some time going back and forth in PM's with him over his original changes to the Towbar OXZ. He will be missed as will his many contributions to Oolite.

montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Nite Owl wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 pm
That would be a shame but such is the way of the interwebs. Fully understand "Real Life" and "Burnout" and all that they can entail but for an early onset of such things after a little less than a year is a bit unusual. Ah well... he took on a lot very quickly so maybe moderation is the key lesson to be learned here. Spent some time going back and forth in PM's with him over his original changes to the Towbar OXZ. He will be missed as will his many contributions to Oolite.
I believe it not so much about "Real Life" or "Burnout" but a direct result of a conversation before: viewtopic.php?p=273324#p273324
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Remember reading that thread but did not realize until now what its results may have been. Again, such is the way of the interwebs. Interpersonal communication via only typed words can be a very tricky thing indeed. Without the tonal inflection of your voice and the facial and body expressions that back up that voice it is very easy to offend by either a misinterpretation of one's typed words or by one's choice of words. Add to that the international flavor of most bulletin boards these days and what gets lost in translation can be an even bigger challenge. Personally my habit is to reread everything intended to be posted on such boards at least half a dozen times before hitting the submit button. Each reread usually results in some sort of edit either for the sake of clarity or for unintended offenses resulting from my own poor choices. If something does offend me directly my motto has usually been to never respond to it in the heat of the moment as that will only lead to more offenses and an ever cascading flame war. As stated such is the way of the interwebs and all of our hopes and dreams will not change it.

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:05 am
Remember reading that thread but did not realize until now what its results may have been. Again, such is the way of the interwebs. Interpersonal communication via only typed words can be a very tricky thing indeed. Without the tonal inflection of your voice and the facial and body expressions that back up that voice it is very easy to offend by either a misinterpretation of one's typed words or by one's choice of words. Add to that the international flavor of most bulletin boards these days and what gets lost in translation can be an even bigger challenge. Personally my habit is to reread everything intended to be posted on such boards at least half a dozen times before hitting the submit button. Each reread usually results in some sort of edit either for the sake of clarity or for unintended offenses resulting from my own poor choices. If something does offend me directly my motto has usually been to never respond to it in the heat of the moment as that will only lead to more offenses and an ever cascading flame war. As stated such is the way of the interwebs and all of our hopes and dreams will not change it.
Used to have a neighbour whom we got on well with face-to-face. But whenever we dealt with her by e-mails, problems would multiply. And, yes, she was from East Europe.

Nite Owl, you must have a lot of experience in these things to be able to spot these unintended insults in your posts.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Again, such is the way of the interwebs. Interpersonal communication via only typed words can be a very tricky thing indeed.
This! And I saw nothing offensive in the thread in question.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 am
Again, such is the way of the interwebs. Interpersonal communication via only typed words can be a very tricky thing indeed.
This! And I saw nothing offensive in the thread in question.
I completely agree with Nite Owl when it comes to posts, additional different nationalities and therefore cultures further complicate the situation. What is perfectly normal in England could be offensive in my area. However, same like Cody I didn't see anything wrong with the discussion in question. More likely a certain resistance to suggested modifications in the core-game was taken wrongly.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:49 am
Nite Owl, you must have a lot of experience in these things to be able to spot these unintended insults in your posts.
Been posting on Bulletin Boards for as long as there has been an Internet. Started with a dial-up connection at about 2k a second. What now takes seconds to download would, back then, take lots of hours. Usually set it up to get done while sleeping so that it would hopefully be done by the time one woke up. As for unintended insults that is just a matter of making choices which can never be absolutely right. When you initially write something thoughts are flying around in your head as you try to put them down for the rest of the world to read. That initial jumble of thoughts is very rarely the one you want unless you are doing a Jack Kerouac, stream of consciousness, "On The Road" kind of thing. That is why there is a job called Editor. Sentence structure and vocabulary may appear to be just icing on the cake but they can mean the difference between insult and the cohesive transfer of thought. Not everyone can get a firm grasp on them though. This is especially true if you are translating from one language to another where the rules for such things may be entirely different. In the end it is all in the eye of the beholder. You could write stuff to rival Shakespeare but somewhere out there someone is going to take it the wrong way and end up being insulted. The goal is to try to lessen that possibility by as large a factor as you can and still get your point across in a pleasant manner.
Last edited by Nite Owl on Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Nite Owl wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm
The goal is to try to lessen that possibility by as large a factor as you can and still get your point across in a pleasant manner.
Well said!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Started with a dial-up connection...
[eyelid twitches, hands shake] Nurse! Nurse!!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cody wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm
Started with a dial-up connection...
[eyelid twitches, hands shake] Nurse! Nurse!!
Whistling the Hayes "AT Fandango".
--
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

What follows is the entire code from a working version of that manifest.plist.
The way I read the error message was that the OZP server was refusing to do the download because it's version of the manifest.plist was missing. Not something I can fiddle with, Nero-like, from my end.
--