Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

annoying captions

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

northers
Average
Average

annoying captions

Post by northers »

Hello all,

Still playing (Competent, 187 kills), much to the consternation of 'er indoors. This, combined with the world cup has meant we have almost been passing like ships in the night.

I have encountered a couple of things, one really annoying and one merely quirky.

First of all I keep getting captions pop up in my crosshair. Obviously they are supposed to, but quite often one 'sticks' and I find that the only way to remove it is to toggle fast between fore and aft view a few times. This is fine when you are all on your own out there, but when you have a band of pirates raining laser down on to your hull from 15km away, it is more than a little annoying. Sometimes 'aft view' just pops up for no reason at all.

The second is wierd: if you activate your fuel injection drive and while holding the key down press the map button, all the planets are replaced by strange characters.

Sorry if either of these have already been mentioned, but if anyone knows of a solution to the first problem, I would like to know.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

The second one is easy. In the map view, the I key shows the government and trade levels of each planet as a little icon. There's a key to the icons somewhere in the forum. So obviously if you are using I to inject and decide to take your eye off the road, you're gonna get the little icons show up.

Hint: when travelling at ludicrous portions of the speed of light, LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING!!!

;)

The first one is more tricky, and it's been noted a few times already. It's common to the Linux and PC versions, but hasn't been seen so far in the Mac version. I think Winston, Ahruman and Dajt/Nic should note it for future fixes though.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Me? Linux and PC versions? What?
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Selezen wrote:
The first one is more tricky, and it's been noted a few times already. It's common to the Linux and PC versions
News to me - I've never heard of it happening or seen it happening (in many many hours of play on the Linux version).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Hmm...maybe it's just the PC version then. Could be linked to the different way that it handles the text.

I could have sworn I saw it on the Ubuntu version too. Maybe I'm deluded.
Last edited by Selezen on Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemak
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Davemak »

Certainly happens on the PC version, but is liveable with until some really great bods fix it :?:
Nuke 'em 'til they glow; then shoot 'em in the dark!
northers
Average
Average

Post by northers »

I didnt realise there was a system for the icons. Nice one. I will look properly tonight. As for the captions, it will have to be lived with.

Cheers all
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

I've had captions stick occasionally, and i am on a Mac. I think I have managed to clear them by hitting unarm missiles (missiles on safety).
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

That's what I do (running on a PC). As more messages appear, the further up the screen they get. As soon as they get to a position which makes them a nusance, that's where they stay and do not disappear.

Unless you do the old, target, un-target missle so they go further and further up the screen and eventually disappear.
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

Hmm. I haven't had them stick permanently. I have always managed to get them to go away, with just a tap or two on the unarm button. It has only happened to me a couple of times, but I haven't been playing all that long. It has not been more than a minor annoyance to me so far. Maybe it is not as problematic (no permanent sticking) on Mac, or maybe I will run into worse cases of caption-itis later. We shall see.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Not had it myself with the latest PC version, so bug fixed?
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.