Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Test Win64 executable - New Intro Menu

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Test Win64 executable - New Intro Menu

Post by another_commander »

Here is the link to a new Windows x64 test executable: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x8TnCR ... sp=sharing

What we are trying to test in this one is an update to the intro menu (the one on the rotating Cobra screen). Rather than having to load a game before the Game Options can be accessed, we now provide direct access to that screen from the start, which feels much more in line with users' expectations and in line what most other games do.

The View Keyboard Settings menu item has been replaced with Game Options, which also contains a selection for viewing the keyboard settings too. You will find that some items are greyed out when accessing Game Options from the startup screen. This is because those preferences are set on a per-savegame basis, so it would make little sense to set them to something, only for a savefile to come and immediately change them again. Of course, they become available as always once a game has been loaded.

Before merging this with master, we need to know that it works OK. Please test with this exe and try to see if you can break things with it. As I don't have a joystick to test, I am particularly interested in how the stick mapper and configuration works with this exe. Can the joystick still be set properly? Any surprises? Note that to get out of the stickmapper screen, you can now press Space and it will return you to the Game Options screen.

Also note that the intro menu will still display View Keyboard Settings with this exe, but the new functionality will cause Game Options to be presented if you select that option. To see it exactly how it is supposed to be when merged, edit descriptions.plist and replace "oolite-start-option-4" = " View Keyboard Settings "; with "oolite-start-option-4" = " Game Options ";.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Test Win64 executable - New Intro Menu

Post by Cody »

After a quick test, so far so good - the stick-mapper seems to work fine. Being a creature of the night, I'll test some more later.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

My tests have been good too. One thing (which I think is a long-standing issue) is that, immediately after mapping a joystick button, it seems to take two key presses to do anything else (eg, you have to press space twice to close the page, or page up/down to change page, or arrow up/down to select another item). Or is that just me?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

phkb wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 am
My tests have been good too. One thing (which I think is a long-standing issue) is that, immediately after mapping a joystick button, it seems to take two key presses to do anything else (eg, you have to press space twice to close the page, or page up/down to change page, or arrow up/down to select another item). Or is that just me?
Is this happening also with the current trunk? Because if it is, it is not related to the proposed change anyway and we can worry about it after merging the feature.
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Yes, it’s a current trunk issue.
Cody

Post by Cody »

phkb wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:02 am
Or is that just me?
No, not just you - and it is a long-standing issue!
Last edited by Cody on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

The feature has been merged and will be in tomorrow's nightly.