Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Too many pirates...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Mikkail
Average
Average

Too many pirates...

Post by Mikkail »

I played Elite back in the 80's on the Apple //e (and attained Elite status), but am having problems with Oolite. I'm playing without any expansion packs so as to be close to the original. However, I keep getting swarmed by pirates - they seem to swarm 5 at a time. My memory is that they used to swarm 3 at a time, and I think I could handle that, but 5 at once! :(
Is there a way to cut down the number that spawn? Without altering the gameplay too much?
Anyone?
The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
Grindalf
Competent
Competent

Re: Too many pirates...

Post by Grindalf »

I agree.
I have recently been playing the original BBC version and when Pirates attack its a group of 1 to 3 pirates. In Oolite I often get jumped by up to 8 pirates and sometimes I get more than 1 group after me, Ive had more pirates on the scanner than I can count.

I actually played Oolite before Elite so I just thought thats the way it is but when I played a version of the original I was suprised at how much easier combat was and how much smaller the pirate groups are.

You should check out Elite The New Kind. I believe its very close to the original
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Too many pirates...

Post by Disembodied »

Discussion of phkb's PopulationControl.oxz moved to a new thread.