[Beta] Release of Telescope 2.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [Beta] Release of Telescope 2.0

Post by Cholmondely »

I never realised that there was a newer version of Telescope!

Is this still a "beta"?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

cag wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:15 am
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:23 pm
And: What about your new Telescope 2.0? Does it need testing?
Since you offered:
new telescope: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jzqljz1txyez6 ... .oxz?dl=0
new station options: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq2cka2jwy59r ... .oxz?dl=0
I'm just putting on finishing touches and plan to release soon. Now I just got to learn the expansion manager and file the paperwork for credentials.
Well, I've downloaded what is linked on the front page here (I presume it is the same) - and I found that I needed your "fps.monitor.oxz" too.

Four comments so far -

1) thank you for taking this on! Telescope is to my mind a superb .oxp. It is also complex as bally heck - to have mastered this one shows great application - well done, Sir! I very much like the way it looks, never mind its functionality!

2) there might be some conflict between your new auxiliary Telescope MFD (super idea, by the way!) and LittleBear's MFD Galactic Almanac MFD - I seem to get one or the other, but never both. Or perchance Stranger's Advanced System Data MFD |(which I also have up) has cast a plague on both their houses!

3) I very much like the way you now have the masslock borders flip! I presume that it is the obvious - the ship inside has just changed direction.

4) For some reason, when your oxp's fail to load and give the reason why, instead of the name of the missing oxz, I get a description, which is somewhat less helpful to those of us who are just dumb pilots. I seem to recall another recent-ish oxp has a similar issue.

I've yet to unpick the morass of choices which Telescope it, but am looking forwards to working some of it out!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:46 pm

Well, I've downloaded what is linked on the front page here (I presume it is the same) - and I found that I needed your "fps.monitor.oxz" too.
No, I meant for you to down load the versions in my previous message! The ones from the first page are older, my bad. I've done some house cleaning so the 1st post is up to date and links match. You'll need to DL again, sorry. Your comment about "fps.monitor.oxz" clued me in, as it's now built in and no longer a required oxp.
2) there might be some conflict between your new auxiliary Telescope MFD (super idea, by the way!) and LittleBear's MFD Galactic Almanac MFD - I seem to get one or the other, but never both. Or perchance Stranger's Advanced System Data MFD |(which I also have up) has cast a plague on both their houses!
I was wondering what I'd be doing this weekend <sigh>
3) I very much like the way you now have the masslock borders flip! I presume that it is the obvious - the ship inside has just changed direction.
Actually, that's a bug, not a feature. It's been around forever, as there's no check on which way it rotates on update and occasionally, it goes the long way round (179.99 degrees). But I think you have an idea for a cool new feature, if I can wrap my mind around the math. I've added it to the list.
4) For some reason, when your oxp's fail to load and give the reason why, instead of the name of the missing oxz, I get a description, which is somewhat less helpful to those of us who are just dumb pilots. I seem to recall another recent-ish oxp has a similar issue.
I'm hoping to chalk this up the the version mix-up. But if you ever see something similar, it's important to write down the description so the problem can be tracked down.

I thank you for your efforts!
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

new version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swfwx5klha3dn ... e.oxz?dl=0
(same link as in the first post)

new features:
  • telecope marker's '$TelescopeTarget' property now contains the telecope's target entity (dybal)
    • i.e. no longer need to consult ws.$TelescopeList[ ws.$TelescopeListi - 1 ],
      which saves 2 worldScripts property gets (2nd only to missionVariables in speed cost)

Code: Select all

target = ps.target.dataKey == "telescopemarker" ? ps.target.$TelescopeTarget : ps.target;
    (wanted to just set its target ie. ps.target.target, but get Exceptions for planets & sun)
  • ships w/ active jammers detected as 'unknown ship'
  • having a dish allows detection of abandoned rock hermits
option changes:
  • simplified sniper ring toggle: 'SniperRingSize' is only way to toggle sniperRing
    (setting ranges equal no longer works/necessary)
  • in RedAlert & weaponOnline, non-hostile targeting entities ignored ('TargetOnlyHostile'), is off by default
  • masslock rings:
    • 'ShowMassLock' and 'MassLockBorders' now a single option controlling when/if masslock borders
      are displayed, renamed to 'MassLockRings'
    • 'BrightMassLockBorders' renamed to 'BrightMassLockRings'
    • these changes are backward compatibile w/ saved games
tweaks:
  • default effectdata changed to core ships (as Norby did) due to complaints re: log warning messages
  • fps_monitor oxp no longer needed (it's been integrated)
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cag wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:38 am
I thank you for your efforts!
You are doing something positive and useful. At the moment I have time. The least I can do is to try and support your efforts.

Your work on Telescope options was brilliant too. I only wish that I could have been more helpful there...
Actually, that's a bug, not a feature. It's been around forever, as there's no check on which way it rotates on update and occasionally, it goes the long way round (179.99 degrees).
To me it is a feature and does not need changing. And if it is not telling me that the ship has changed direction, I understand from your comment that it is telling me something equally useful.
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Looking at Arquebus's new YouTube playthroughs, I wonder if Telescope 2.0 is wrecking the "GalCop Missions: find mysterious beacon" mission in his 4th film - see his video at 19:19 (and again at 24:45 when the mysterious beacon was supposed to come up)!

I'm unsure if this would also have been an issue with the Telescope v.1.15 currently on the Expansions Manager.

Also posted under GalCop Missions thread.

Arquebus downloaded Telescope 2.0 at my urging because of his Thargoid infestation!
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I'm hoping to chalk this up to the version mix-up. But if you ever see something similar, it's important to write down the description so the problem can be tracked down.
Example:

The Expansion Pack "Adds Station options to Telescope" was not loaded as it requires "Need Telescope OXP." which is not installed
Comments wanted:
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:29 pm

The Expansion Pack "Adds Station options to Telescope" was not loaded as it requires "Need Telescope OXP." which is not installed
Okay, I fixed the manifest to actually make sense. Links remains he same.
How do I...? Nevermind.
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

I think we can rule out Stranger's MFD, as it's straightforward. As for the Galactic Almanac, what version are you running. The latest I could find was 1.4.1 but I had trouble getting it to run properly.

randomstationnames.js line 3968:

for (var i = 0; i < oxps.length; i++) { // I added the 'var'
fixed a "ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable i"

descriptions.plist line 2418:

"[named_stations_gas_stuff_template2]", // I added the '2'
fixed a raft of "Unknown expansion key [named_stations_gas_stuff_template]"

There's also a "TypeError: target is null" on line 5682, which would require more work (<yawn> it's late).
Do you have a later version?

Also, what was the nature of the conflict with the auxiliary Telescope MFD? All I could find was a bug not picking up the sun's name (sun_name, not displayName, <grrr>).
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cag wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:37 am
I think we can rule out Stranger's MFD, as it's straightforward. As for the Galactic Almanac, what version are you running. The latest I could find was 1.4.1 but I had trouble getting it to run properly.

randomstationnames.js line 3968:

for (var i = 0; i < oxps.length; i++) { // I added the 'var'
fixed a "ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable i"

descriptions.plist line 2418:

"[named_stations_gas_stuff_template2]", // I added the '2'
fixed a raft of "Unknown expansion key [named_stations_gas_stuff_template]"

There's also a "TypeError: target is null" on line 5682, which would require more work (<yawn> it's late).
Do you have a later version?

Also, what was the nature of the conflict with the auxiliary Telescope MFD? All I could find was a bug not picking up the sun's name (sun_name, not displayName, <grrr>).
My version is GalacticAlmanacBeta1.4.1.oxp which I downloaded on 4th September

Like you, I have problems getting it to run properly - I'm playing in Strangers World and the sun usually gets labelled "unidentified", and when docked, on the Station interfaces F4 page, it lists zillions of "undefineds" which one presumes are the planets & moons.

I've not tried it with any of the other ambient possibilities (I'm too keen on the SW set-up, I'm afraid) - but I'd be surprised if LittleBear has not. Trying things out with Stranger's World involves so many downloads... !

As regards the conflict (if that is what it is) with the auxiliary Telescope MFD, I get "Telescope Aux disabled" and fiddling with the F4 Station options has so far failed to cure it. And again when I was playing a few days ago, I got your new auxiliary MFD, but the Galactic Almanac MFD stayed blank. Hence my presumption that there may be a conflict.

Is there anything else I should be doing?
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm
Looking at Arquebus's new YouTube playthroughs, I wonder if Telescope 2.0 is wrecking the "GalCop Missions: find mysterious beacon" mission in his 4th film - see his video at 19:19 (and again at 24:45 when the mysterious beacon was supposed to come up)!

I'm unsure if this would also have been an issue with the Telescope v.1.15 currently on the Expansions Manager.
It was, I had the same "debug" target with the version in the manager!

I am noticing what I think is new behavior with Telescope 2.0. The lightball setting doesn't save between station launches. It always goes back to "ships" rather than sticking to the brighter masslock setting that I prefer.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

If you're using HUD selector, I fixed a problem with it and a DL might help (same link). If not, it'll be a few days before I can get back to it. If you notice any more symptoms, let me know.
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Four points, if I may.

i) again, cag, thank you for taking on this back-breaking task. I sincerely hope you manage to derive some sort of enjoyment from it!

ii) I'm having identical issues to Arquebus above with my mass-lock borders disappearing. I'd presumed it was because I'd fluffed setting "setting #248" under station options, and that my sonic screwdriver threw a wobbly...

iii) I don't understand how the fast activation system works, but is it possible to have the spotting of other "targets" disabled by a fast activation button? Or disabled when ILS is operating? The first suits me better, but having watched through Arquebus's videos and pondered his playing style, the second probably suits most new players better (nothing to do, to read about, to remember or look up). (Also mentioned on Norby's [RELEASE] ILS Instrument Landing System v1.13 thread, but not the second "disabling" point)

Phkb is hoping to include more fast activation buttons for Oolite v.1.92.

iv) Looking forwards to trying your fix for HUDSelector! Thank you.

Edited to add: the only really important issue that I have (and have had) with any of the versions of Telescope is "death by ILS". The other problems I find rather minor. As mentioned elsewhere, in my early days, I died 5 times by ILS/Telescope whilst being murdered only twice by pirates!

... and there are a couple of minor typos in Station Options which I hope to send you fixes for at some point, before you post it on the Expansions Manager.
Comments wanted:
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Ok so I have a feeling I'm not actually running the Telescope from the dropbox link. I think my settings are still showing up as mass lock BORDERS instead of RING when I switch through the options.

So here's my question: the dropbox OXPs have different names from the ones downloaded from the installer. Should I just remove the installer ones and put in the dropbox ones, without changing any names, or will I break my existing telescope if I don't rename the OXPs to match what was there before?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

It looks like if I just plop the new files in, remove the old ones and change nothing else, the extender+gravity scanner OXP won't load.