Migrating icons

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Migrating icons

Post by Alex »

This is nothing but a ??. There are a few icons on my desk top, that on start up occasionally migrate. Always to the same place. Running windoze 7. Ye I hear yous all chuckling from here. I got the pro version on disc for $0.00. Great buy. And if you don't allow it to update. It runs smoothly. Just wondering if anyone else has migrating icons? Mine always go to the same individual places. There are 3 of doing it now. Yes, I put them back and refresh desktop. A bitty like the furry little pets I let on the Gertrude untill a sunburn is required. It's more a curiosity thing than a problem.

TDM is due a HD reformat. Something I do every few years to dump the rubbish I seem to accrue. Most of which I don't remember doing or why??
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Migrating icons

Post by spud42 »

i had that happen to me i think. the worst was doing a nvidia driver update it used to move all the icons around. i used a small program i found online to save the desktop layout. cant remember it but if things moved a quick restore put everything back.. and that was on win7 nvidia seem to be behaving themselves lately havent had wandering icons on win 10..(just lots of spying to stop) ..
try this http://fsl.sytes.net/iconrestorer.html
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

I do use nvidia drivers. but haven't updated in a while. Only 2 icons seem to have 'itchy feet' and always to the same place. Also my calendar tends to think my screen is 4:3 ratio on occasion. Maybe an update of the graphic driver should be thought about.
In my experience upgrades tend to introduce more problems than solve.
The more complex you make a system, the more you introduce problems by the factor of 'n'.

On the same thought, we wouldn't have Oolite, or these chat boards.

Ye. on start up. a couple of icons like to shift. but then tis an old OS. Haven't had to reFormat the HD in a while and reinstall. Hate to imagine the ex-strenuous progs running today. That is rubbish stuff I forget about is there.

i.e. I don't like to add progs to solve probs. Rather remove the prob to get back before adding more.
Ah.. The life of playing with TDM (This Damn Machine)
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

my TDM is a constantly evolving piece of close to trailing edge tech. its had 2 cases,4 CPU's, 2 mother boards, 5 graphics cards, various HDD's and SSD's and 6 monitors. oh and 2 maybe 3 operating systems. yes its 3, Vista, 7 & 10
Every single item since the initial purchase has been second hand. eBay and OCAU ( thats Over Clockers AUstralia) buy/sell forums.
Latest purchase is 3 Viewsonic 1920 x 1200 26" displays..all 3 for $210 au and recoup most of that by selling the 2 24" monitors...

Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

ALEX'S Brain explodes:

There is a mess to clean up.

Lucky Alex is on the job.
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander